Gibson Brands Forums

Just joined the Epiphone forums - Got a Les Paul Special II HCS

adash123

Guitar isn't my main instrument but after years of dabling with a Fender Squire and wishing I could play properly I thought I'd start out from scratch and get some lessons and a new guitar to learn with.

I just ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (HCS) as I think it should suit better both for playing style I'm aiming for and tones. Also ordered some PRS 9- and 10- strings as I've read the factory ones weren't that great.

The reviews really praised the build quality and sound of the LPS II, even though it is at the lower price range. For now I didn't want to spend too much. Later, I'll have a better idea of what I need to look for.

And so, I thought I'd say a quick hello to everyone, and I hope you don't mind a newbe posting.

[lol]

Welcome aboard! You'll like the forum, we try to help

each other out with answers to questions, and like to post

pics of gear (of course). Sooooo, post away!

I snagged an LP Special II recently, was pleasantly surprised

at the playability. As a "starter EPI", you should be happy,

just get it set-up decently to suit your playing style.

String change is definitely in order - the factory strings (probably .010s)

will have been on the git since the day it was made.

Gotta start SOMEWHERE!

noobs-suck.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender

LP special II's are awesome starters. From there you have so many customization and modding possibilities!

welcome, and prepare to become a total gear-hound

You lost all respect I had for you when you said it was a cherry burst. You make me sick. Shoulda got a white one. If you now, in your newfound shame, decide to throw the guitar away, I'll gladly take it away from you, so as to spare you the misery. :-

Oh, and welcome :-$

"...You lost all respect I had for you when you said it was a cherry burst. You make me sick. Shoulda got a white one. If you now, in your newfound shame, decide to throw the guitar away, I'll gladly take it away from you, so as to spare you the misery..."

LOL! #-o

Not sure if it's worth a new post, please correct me if so, but with regards to setting up my first Epiphone LP, are there any best practices?

I was looking at either PRS or Gibson Vintage strings to replace the stocks. Are these any good?

Should I oil the fret board whilst I'm changing the strings or is it too soon?

Obviously a newbee so any advice would be welcome. #-o

adash & graze (Sheila's, the Brazen Blueser's, 'Twosome'[biggrin] ),

Welcome on board guys.

You will be VERY surprised what you stumble upon herein... lol

eggmuffins

It just arrived today. Played it in through my Amplitube Live.

This thing sounds better than I imagined. And the range of tones I can get out of it!

VERY happy purchase. The whole thing just sounds and feels just right! What a difference from the strat.

I should get the replacement PRS strings on monday, but the stock ones aren't half bad at all. I went for 10-s.

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Archived