Gibson Brands Forums

SOME THOUGHTS

SCHULTZSRV

O.K. Here is my review, the APPETITE LES PAUL plays great and sounds awesome. However it baffles me how GIBSON or FENDER or who ever is your favorite guitar company can justify these prices. I have owned alot of guitars over the years GIBSONS, EPIPHONES, FENDERS, SQUIRES, JACKSON / CHARVEL, ETC. I am not cutting on any of these companies, however I cannot see or feel a quality difference between my high end EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD SLASH GOLDTOP and the GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD APPETITE SLASH guitar. The quality seems the same, however the GIBSON is over twice the price.

It is not only with GIBSON guitars, It happens with FENDER too. I have a FENDER STRATOCASTER STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN EDITION and have owned FENDER AMERICAN STANDARDS and AMERICAN HIGHWAY ONE STRATS and there are differences in neck size, pick ups, wood, etc., however the quality is the same. There is a huge difference between a SQUIRE of any cost verses a U.S.A. FENDER. GIBSON seems to have better quality control and a better working relationship with EPIPHONE than FENDER does with SQUIRE.

I recently bought a U.S.A. GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO and it was an awesome guitar of awesome quality, however I returned it when I found my EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD SLASH GOLDTOP because I like the SLASH guitar more. Not because it is a SLASH EDITION, but because I like the feel of it better. I see no quality difference at all. They have different neck sizes, finishes, pickups,etc. and they play and sound different. The quality however is the same.

I can't say that a $100.00 EPI is the same as a $4700.00 GIBSON, however if you go high end on both they are of equal quality. An AMERICAN MADE FENDER is light years better than the most expensive SQUIRE.

I like to buy AMERICAN made guitars and I am willing to pay more for them, so when I played my SLASH EPI and liked it better than the AMERICAN GIBSON, I was very surprised.

I want to make sure that you understand that I am not cutting down any of the guitars mentioned, I am just stating my opinion.

there used to be major gib vx epi fights in here.

I won them all.

Me and my sheraton.

really. I did.

(ps.. well. cough cough.

still.I say.. how many epis can you buy with one gibsons price? how many more sounds can you make with those epis?

so cost wise, I think a person wins with MORE GUITARS!!!)

Guest icantbuyafender

The revelation has been had. Congrats.

I'd never buy someones pro model guitar or pickups or anything.

I love modding, so I'd rather build my own custom creations to suit my needs.

So, I'd never condone dropping 5 grand on a Slash Appetite Les Paul... (which is nothing more than an expensive copy of a Les Paul copy) :-B

gibson vs epi?

Pfft. I see partnership rather than rivalry. They work together in equipping all of us axe-men with our noise makers.

And that is something i appreciate.

so my opinion.......

carometer.jpg

Peter

But... if someone out there is willing to stick their neck out and go to "One Pi" on the care-0-meter' date='

(3.14xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Would it make any difference in the "scale of things"? [blink

I am pretty new here' date=' so I apologize if this subject has been done alot. I didn't know. [/quote']

At least once every 8 to 10 weeks! No harm.

Love your guitars, whomever made them, however much they cost, and you can win, too.

Sheila

Ive owned a epi lp and thought it was awesome. I sold it ages ago to fund other gear and now i have a gib lp. Not a std but a lp bfg.

The diff apart from price to me was

The epi neck was smoother because of good binding, the gib doesnt have binding and its not so comfortable. The epi was heavier which i prefer. The epi electrics were poor in my one, the switch didnt last long and the pickups were ok but not great. The gib electrics seem very good and the pickups are very good. I found the epi harder to set up for some reason and always had a bit of buzz and the gib setup was easy. The gib nut is SHITE! the epi nut was better and everyone dont like them really.

My epi had a really good finish with no blemishes i could see and i would buy another even tho ive got a gib now.

My main reason getting the bfg was because of the pickup configaration (Neck P90 and Burstbucker Bridge) and the raw open woody sound. I think the amount of laquer on the epi dulled the tone i think even with better pickups. I tried a gib goldtop traditional and the nitro looked nicer but was still only the same par with epi finish. overall the epi won.

Archived