Gibson Brands Forums

I'm looking for a 12 string. Can anyone help?

ghoshy

don't know about the Epiphone you mentioned, but i can tell you about my 12 string. It's a Simon & Patrick (same company as Seagull, Godin) with solid cedar top, cherry back and sides. not very expensive. it's a dream to play and sounds like a choir of angels. i get more compliments on the sound of this guitar than any of my others. here's a pic:

100_3769.jpg

I am looking for my first 12 string and wondered if the Epiphone Dr-212 was a good buy. Can anyone help me with my decision or suggest any good 12 strings?

I'm partial to Ovation 12 strings, myself - the ones with the single round sound hole & deep bowl, but that's just me. To each his own.

Hey ghoshy, I picked up a late 70's Epi FT-165 Bard 12 last summer off ebay. I was just by chance, I was actually looking to see what I could get for my Penco I bought with paper route money in my teens. They're not going for much so I was looking around and saw this one and the seller was only about an hour away and I had always been interested in a 12. I got lucky and picked it up cheep. It needed a nut so I replaced the saddle too and had the action lowered a bit and I love it. What nice about these is the bolt on neck is easy to repair however what is bad about these is the bolt on neck has severely damaged the sound hole area. Good luck and keep on strumm’n

DSCN1426.jpg

Canadian 12's are good-I had 3 Seagulls-all good,but rather plain.Had an Epi AJ18-12S was good too(all had solid tops).

Avoid bolt-on necks,but laminated tops can be OK-particularly Takamine and Fender-oh Sigma too.

Best advice I can give is not to use too heavy strings!

It's worth having a look at the Vintage v400-12. I bought one a few months ago and I'm well pleased with it. As you're in the UK you can pick them up from around £120.00. They've got solid tops and the one I bought has got a better action than my six strings. I'd recommend it but try it first if you can to make sure the width of the neck at the nut feels right for you.

Hi -

I played the new Epi. 12-string at local Guitar Center, but was underwhelmed, and will admit the set-up was horrible. I own a Martin D12X1; however, if you are looking for something less expensive, perhaps consider the Ibanez 122 or the Mitchell 100S12 as entry-level options.

Regards,

I have a Tanglewood TW 28/12 dlx and she is a beauty. The last time I restrung her I used EB Super Slinky 8's and now she plays as easily as my PR-350S. I know the sound level is reduced but as I only play in the house it doesn't matter. In the far past I had an Eko Ranger 12 and a Yamaha 12. The Yamaha was so bad I never even bothered to remember the model. Tanglewood wins it for me.

I am looking for my first 12 string and wondered if the Epiphone Dr-212 was a good buy. Can anyone help me with my decision or suggest any good 12 strings?

I've also been underwhelmed by the DR 212. Haven't seen the Epi RoyO model.

I really enjoyed the Martin J15 12 string Ir ecently saw in a local indie store, but Martin has since pulled that model. Woulda gone for around $800.

Came close to pulling the trigger on a Hohner ovangol (lam)-body (was it HW90?)model at about $350. Decided at the last minute I didn't really have enough use for a 12 to spend the money. If you can find Hohners, I'd say check this one out. My fave among bargain makers for a 12string.

I've also been underwhelmed by the DR 212. Haven't seen the Epi RoyO model.

I really enjoyed the Martin J15 12 string Ir ecently saw in a local indie store' date=' but Martin has since pulled that model. Woulda gone for around $800.

Came close to pulling the trigger on a Hohner ovangol (lam)-body (was it HW90?)model at about $350. Decided at the last minute I didn't really have enough use for a 12 to spend the money. If you can find Hohners, I'd say check this one out. My fave among bargain makers for a 12string.[/quote']

Just noticed as I pushed the "post" button that you, too, are in the DC area. OK, the Hohner was at Boe's Strings in Frederick, on Market Street just south of the center of town. He gives a pretty good deal on trade, too. This guitar has great volume, good sound quality across the spectrum (hi, lo, mid) and plays easy. Worth checking out for the money.

I find the whole Goodin line (S & P, Seagull, etc.) to sound too "pretty" for my tastes (look at my name!), though quite well made.

The Martin was at Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, but ain't there no more. There has been a D16 12 there more recently, thouogh, that might float your boat.

I bought a Taylor Kottke model and it is awesome. Beautiful bear claw spruce and flawless construction. With reletively heavy strings and tuned down it has killer bass and balanced mids, ringing highs really complex overtones. Before this one I loved a 1972 Guild F-212 I had. A great bright punch to it. Unfortunately it had cracks and needed a reset. Overall the Guilds made is China now are very good for the money. VERY LOUD. I intended to have the 212 repaired till I found the Taylor. Recently, I played a used Martin D-1 12 that blew me away, though I still prefer the sound of the Taylor with the heavier strings and lowered tunings the overall balance and playability of the Martin was really good.

I did considerable research on acoustic 12 strings with built-in piezo pickups a few years ago and ended up with a Dean Performer SE-12 that I found on eBay for around $375 with hard case. It's a smaller jumbo style body (yeah, I know --- oxymoron) with a cutaway, spruce top, mahogany neck, sides and back, and I've been delighted with it. Acoustically it has a lovely shimmer and a well-defined bottom end. It doesn't have the acoustic power of a big Guild, but the pickup handles that when I need more volume, and it records really well too. I don't play 12-string enough to justify the price of a Guild or Taylor, but the Dean plays and sounds wonderful, and it completely satisfies my 12-string needs. That's it on the left, next to my Takamine classical.

Acoustics-1.jpg

Archived