Gibson Brands Forums

Wrong forum, but ....Gibson LP Raw Power anyone??

StewartB

Hopefully I won't get shot for asking about the Gibson les Paul Raw Power on this forum (...he ducks wildly, dodging bullets!!) ??

I think I recall a thread where Duane V (??) said he was buying a Gibby LP Raw Power. I have an opportunity to get one here in OZ for a fairly low price but haven't had a chance to play it or check it over.

Anyone own one/played one and have an opinion about the tone and construction quality? I believe they are all maple with Gibson 57 pups.

Stewart B

Hey, Srewart!

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with folks talking about Gibsons in an Epiphone Forum ... one big, happy family and all ... besides, we talk about EVERYTHING in here!

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play one, although I'd love to try out a maple fretboard (love 'em!) on a Les Paul (love 'em!). Sounds like a match made in heaven to me if it's done right! Everyone I've ever spoken to that had played a Raw Power has given big thumbs up to both the LP and the SG version. So ... at the very least, word of mouth has been very positive!

Jim

Hey' date=' Srewart!

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with folks talking about Gibsons in an Epiphone Forum ... one big, happy family and all ... besides, we talk about EVERYTHING in here!

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play one, although I'd love to try out a maple fretboard (love 'em!) on a Les Paul (love 'em!). Sounds like a match made in heaven to me if it's done right! Everyone I've ever spoken to that had played a Raw Power has given big thumbs up to both the LP and the SG version. So ... at the very least, word of mouth has been very positive!

Jim

[/quote']

Thanks Jim. I know you probably talk to a lot of folks about guitars and work in the industry, so I respect your comments.

Stewart

The Raw Power guitars look like great axes. They do come W/57 Classic pups which I have in my SG-3 and I love their tone. They are all maple and the body is chambered to help keep the weight down. I was wondering what finish you were looking into. I like the idea of a natural satin finish but they look pink in the pics. Has anyone seen a natural in person and what do you think?

Rewd.

The Raw Power guitars look like great axes. They do come W/57 Classic pups which I have in my SG-3 and I love their tone. They are all maple and the body is chambered to help keep the weight down. I was wondering what finish you were looking into. I like the idea of a natural satin finish but they look pink in the pics. Has anyone seen a natural in person and what do you think?

Rewd.

The finish is the Blue Platinum. A bit bright but could live with it.

I tried and failed to locate a Raw Power SG for about a year. Ended up w/ the Epi G-400 SG clone. The Raw Power looked like a great idea but I couldn't find anyone who actually sold one.

If you found one I hope you're happy with it.

The finish is the Blue Platinum. A bit bright but could live with it.

Stewart if those pics of the natural finish are anywhere close to what they actually look like I think you are better off with a colored finish. What did Gibson do to make all the maple look pink? Is it the lighting?

Stewart if those pics of the natural finish are anywhere close to what they actually look like I think you are better off with a colored finish. What did Gibson do to make all the maple look pink? Is it the lighting?

Mate their website says it is a nitro finish. I haven't seen a natural one but I'm guessing that since the maple is a bit lighter and slightly yellow in its natural state, then after being finished it could look a little pinkish? Not sure.

Archived