Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Special SC

w1av

I went to the local GUITAR CENTER to check out the LP Special SC. They had one TV yellow guitar on a stand in front of store. So I picked it up and took it to a Fender amp to try out. My first impression was how well made it was....nice hefty feel. I did notice the finish was terrible though. The paint job was pretty lame and you could see the wood grain right under it. The yellow finish was weak looking....

So I plugged it in and played for about 1/2 hour. The neck pickup sounded best....the neck and bridge wasn't too bad and the bridge was way too tinny and thin. I was comparing the sound to my own SG juniors which have the dog ear P90.

I prefer the SG tone way more. The LP special had a nice sound but too generic and the stock P90's do not sound anything like the ones I have on my 2 epi juniors. I think the dog ear style P90's have a better tone all around. This LP special seemed like one of the Epi LP specials with the humbuckers....too low end sounding for my $379. It is a nice, well made guitar, but loses ground quickly with the crappy finish and the neutered sounding pickups. I wonder if the cherry finish is a better choice? I am wondering if replacing the stock pickups would help? If I had to, I would more than likely prefer the cherry finish and replace the pickups. But not for $379.

So how was the neck and frets? What kind of tuners are on it? I saw that unit in my flier and was thinking about checking it out. I've seen the older LP single cuts on ebay for around $300. Figured for what the guitar is, with fixed neck and such that it's not such a bad deal, even if needing pups..........

you could see the wood grain right under it.

That's how TV Yellow is supposed to be.

I think the dog ear style P90's have a better tone all around.

I don't doubt that they don't sound as good (as your other pickups), but the only difference between dog-ears and soapbars is the cover.

W1:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16167

Epiphone soapbars/P90s are pretty good pickups but yes of course they can be improved upon... I like the dark red finish simply because the hue is perfect-- not too dark and not too yellow... The grain looks kind of fake to me... But epiphone claims its real wood...

I still don't know why it seems these TV yellow guitars are "in fashion"....

• 3 weeks later...

The dog ears are not mounted in a cavity like soapbars....they are mounted directly on the body of guitar, I think sometimes there may be a thin shim in there too. The covers are obviously different but in my own opinion I get a much better tone with my SG Jr. with the dog ear P90. As for the Epi LP Special SC it just seemed like a cheap guitar that had no character. I have seen other real Gibson Juniors in TV yellow and the finish although the guitars were old, still was decent. But the Special's TV yellow finish looked very cheezy and slapped on.

The neck and frets were not bad. Neck has a nice feel to it.....frets were smooth and seemed OK.....my main complaint was the TONE. The neck pickup had the best tone....but the bridge and bridge/neck together didnt sound ANYTHING like what a Gibson or OLDER Epiphone would sound like. It sounded like one of those cheep DEAN guitars in the bargain rack. It is like a really low end Epiphone, just built a little better. Definitely not worth the price they are asking! If you closed your eyes and held and played it, you would swear you had one of those LP specials that sold for $129 with the crappy humbuckers. You CAN'T BEAT the old Epiphones.....my 2 SG Jrs. are 1997 models and are much better physically and tone-wise compared to whats is being sold today.

We finally got yellow one at one of the GC's in Pittsburgh.

Both stores have the red.

The yellow's paint was not transparent like what you described.

IMO the transparent would be more desirable to me.

The solid was just too School Bus yellow.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the cherry is going for $349 while the yellow is $379?

I asked why the difference in price and no one seemed to know.

• 2 weeks later...
If I had to' date=' I would more than likely prefer the cherry finish and replace the pickups. But not for $379.[/quote']

You'd be surprised how many people buy $2K Les Pauls & replace the pups. :)

I'm picking up a cherry one this week. I'll put it through it's paces before I think anything needs to be done to it. Usually replacing the caps is first. I usually go the cheapest route first.

I'm new on the forum (been reading it for a while though)' date=' I'm interested in the Special (for tha Marley vibe, and the Townshend p90 sound)...could you review it when you get it?[/quote']

Will do. I'll be running it through either a '72 Vox AC30 or an '08 Marshall 1974X. There are alot of variables between the Epi LP Special & the SG Special Pete used, but there would be variables between 2 SG Specials anyway.

Well ; I have my yellow Special ; it's really not that "special ", but as they say - you get what you pay for it . I wanted an axe with P90's , and there it was. And $379 is not that steep a price , comapred to the $1000 Gibson counterpart .

[crying]

Actually - I do like it . Mine is a solid banana yellow ; I cannot see the grains - which I do like , as it stands out more. I like the flat-top as well, as it is easier to play than a LP Standard, ( of which I own 2 ) .

I DO recomend it to anyone , as it has a comfortable neck ! $ 379... get it !!

Will do. I'll be running it through either a '72 Vox AC30 or an '08 Marshall 1974X. There are alot of variables between the Epi LP Special & the SG Special Pete used' date=' but there would be variables between 2 SG Specials anyway. [/quote']

So, how's the Special?

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived