Gibson Brands Forums

Modding a G-400 to Approximate a Gibson SG Standard?

colchar

I am thinking of getting rid of my Epi G-400 SG so that I can buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard because I can get a good deal on a new Standard from my local store. However, I was also thinking that, if I could mod my G-400, I might be able to put money towards other gear (a tube amp, and Epi Les Paul Standard, etc.) as the mods would, hopefully, cost quite a bit less than the Gibson would. I know a G-400 will never ever be as good as a Gibson but I am wondering how close I might be able to get.

Has anyone here tried to mod their G-400 to get it as close as possible to a Gibson SG Standard? If so, what did you do to yours and how much did it cost? How is yours compared to a Gibson?

I am thinking I might be better off just getting the Gibby and forgetting about the Epi LP Standard as having one great guitar is better than having a couple of really good guitars but I wanted to check here before I made my final decision.

How long have you been playing? How old are You? These are relevant questions.

If you're a beginner, or young. you have plenty of time to get a Gibson. I don't see the rush.

I have an '96 Epi G400. It's probably the favorite of my 7 electrics (my new '96 MIM Strat is a close 2nd).

I put on a Tusq nut, had new/upgraded wiring, new higher value caps, and a new switchcraft switch put in.

I also had it wired for independent volume/tone control.

I am very happy with it. I love the stock pups in it. There is absolutely nothing negative I can say about it.

It can play everything, from clean to high gain. Great guitar. Maybe I was just lucky.

I've been playing for 8-9 months and, unfortunately, am no longer young (41). I was thinking of getting the Gibby because of how good a deal I can get. Also, I've always loved them.

My playing abilities don't currently justify a Gibby but I am not sure a similar deal will be available in another year's time.

There are some low-cost SG shaped Gibsons out there way cheaper than a LP Standard if you prefer the SG feel.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special.aspx

If you upgrade an Epi with Gibson parts such as pups and tuners, you never really recover the cost if you re-sell (unless you're lucky enough to get the parts very cheaply).

If you never had a Gibson before then I think it's best to

get the Gibby. Everyone should own a Gibson at least once.

In my pre-military days' date=' I owned 2 Gibson Les Pauls and a

Gibson "The Paul". I sold all my gear when I joined up as I had

no "reliable" place to store them for 6 years. But, it was a joy

owning the Gibsons.

Fast forward to the present..... [biggrin

Out of military, Guitar had sort of faded into the background, but then

I was HIT HARD by the "what in the H*ll am I doing? WHY aren't I PLAYING?"

bug again (thank Gawd!). The difference being that Gibbys had gone up so much

in price, that getting another wasn't a financially sound option.

I had played Epiphones, and found them to be most acceptable guitars, and much

more affordable. So, I pulled the trigger and bought an EPi LP Studio. Six months later,

I bought an Epi LP Classic. Over time, I discovered both guitars had the SAME pups in

them, but totally different sounds. Hmmmmm.....

Being a former Gibson owner, I wanted the "classic" 498T/490R pickup tones from

my gits, so I ebayed two used sets of pups @ $100 a SET vs $110 each, and grabbed

2 sets of "Gibson Deluxe" Tulip Tuners. (see signature). Installed upgrades and was

immediately pleased with the clarity and sensitivity of the Gibson pups! My initial

cost per guitar - $350. Add the cost of the Gibby pups and tuners, and total investment

per guitar is $500. I've had them for 2+ years now.

If you can afford a Gibson, go for it. Be sure to put it in your will, as you will

keep it until you, er.... Go to the great beyond. My main point is that EPIs CAN

be tweaked/upgraded if desired, and cost-wise are considerably less than "our

parent company's" guitars. As another forum member put it - "The Audience doesn't

care what is on the Headstock. All they care about is what they HEAR!".

If I could snag another Gibby, I would be all over the LP Studio for 2 reasons.

It's affordable ($799.00), and it's a Gibson! BTW, I will NEVER part with my Epis.

At the time I bought my Studio, they didn't feature Trapezoidal inlays, but NOW

you CAN get EPI LP Studios in the "Deluxe" version WITH Tulip Tuners...

Just hit the Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or Music 123 Websites to

compare prices.

REAL Gibson LP Studio:

GibsonVintageMahoganyLP01.jpg

MY Epiphone LP Studio:

100_0206.jpg

Archived