Gibson Brands Forums

New Strings Are Buzzin'

Tman5293

About a week ago I put new strings on my SG and something, the likes of which I have never experienced before, happened. All of a sudden I've got this dreadful buzz coming from my "A" and low "E" strings! Now I've heard that this might just be because they are new strings but I have changed strings on that guitar quite a few times and have never had this problem. The old strings didn't buzz at all. It's quite the odd phenomenon! eusa_think.gifeusa_wall.gif

I did not change string gauge. The new strings are Ernie Ball Coated .10-.46, same as the old ones.

Hmmm....I think the last time I setup my guitar was about 2 months ago. eusa_think.gif I had the bridge raised a little bit.

Wait, all you did was raise the bridge?

Or was it a complete setup?

A tech once told me that if you leave a guitar un strung for a wholeday sometimes the neck messes up and it need a setup.

Wait, all you did was raise the bridge?

Or was it a complete setup?

A tech once told me that if you leave a guitar un strung for a wholeday sometimes the neck messes up and it need a setup.

only took five minutes with strings off my SG to require tweaking the truss rod...

You stated that the buzz is with your E and A strings---is that buzz during fretting or in the open position only?

If it's only in the open position, it is a most likely a problem with the grooves in the nut.

Bob

It only buzzes when I fret notes up until about the 12th fret.

It only buzzes when I fret notes up until about the 12th fret.

Check your frets for level. It's sounds like the number 12 is the culpret. It could be, that in the process of re-stringing, the bass end of the 12th fret got hooked and pulled up a tad. It may not have anything to do with the fact that you've re-strung. It could be a coincidence. Check the No. 12.

Archived