Gibson Brands Forums

Tips on Epiphone g310

Flopflips

Ok i just got this guitar as my second guitar and i absolutely love it, but i was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to make this thing sound its best...and how to give my low notes a thick heavy sound and give my higher ones alot of bite...i play through a peavey vypyr, any ideas or advice?

Well, guitar-wise, you could replace the pots, caps and pickups with something of higher quality or more suited to your needs. Not really versed in this, so no suggestions. Sorry.

However, you may consider getting a better amp. Not sure what size amp you have, but if its a smaller solid state, you will probably never get the sound you want regardless of what you do to the guitar. I'm sure the people here will have many amp suggestions for you. I'm a bass player and I dont know squat about guitar amps.

You are better off selling it, and putting the money toward a G400.

Way better guitar, for not much more money.

I think your amp is OK. Of course you didn't say which Vypyr model you had. It can vary.

Too late for that, Brad. He'll never get close to the original retail price with a used G-310. But I agree, the G400 will get you closer to the sound you want. And upgrading a G310 wil cost just as much, if not more than buying a G400

As for the Vypyr, if its a little 15W, he'll probably not get that beefy sound no matter what he plays through it.

I gotcha the peavey is only for home use im tryin to get me a new amp for playing places... wat would u recomend?

I would recommend taking your axe and any effects you use and go try out some amps. One amp won't sound exactly the same with different guitars through it, and one guitar won't sound the same through different amps. find what sounds the best with the gear you have!

I started out with a G-310 and a Line 6 Spider III. It was alright for a short while, but I ended upgrading to a G-400 shortly after, and got a great price on it.

I haven't used the Spider in a long time, though. I have an Orange Crush-15, and a Fender G-DEC 30. I find that the Orange lets me hear the guitar more, but now I'm getting a Fender Vibro Champ. I've been wanting a tube amp for some time, but I still like to have options for effects and modeling. I won't sell my other amps, but I can see myself using the Champ more than the others.

I agree that an amp change might be the way to go. To me, the modeling amps sound nearly the same with either guitar. They turn the sound into whichever model you choose.

I recommend bringing your guitar to the local music store and trying it with different amps. I think you'll find that upgrading your guitar's electronics isn't the answer. I could be wrong, but you won't know unless you give it a try.

Try some of the 5 watt valve amps, with a decent sized speaker, so you can hear the guitar, rather than whatever effects the amp is using to alter the sound. From there you can make a more informed decision.

Archived