Gibson Brands Forums

I'm thinking about changing string gauges.

Twiz

So, tonight I jammed for the first time with some new guys. With this new band, they're shooting for a Mountain/Grand Funk type of sound with some Thin Lizzy-ish dueling guitar leads/harmonies. There are a lot of bends, hammer-ons and stuff like that. I'm considering going down a gauge on my strings (from 10's to 9's). Do you guys think I'll have to set up all my guitars again, or is the change going to be so slight that I'll probably be ok? Hell, I guess I'll probably just have to change 'em and check it. Do you think this is a dumb idea altogether? I'm just looking for some opinions. Thanks...

Experimenting never hurt. If you're doing more Fret Board Acrobatics you might just need to go lighter for a month or so. Before you know it you'll be bending 10's like they're 9's. As for the set up, you might need to raise the saddles just a bit.

+1 for checking intonation and raising the bridge a bit.

Different string gauges have slightly different sounds to me ears. Heavier is not always better, it simply depends on what you like.

The only way to know if you like them or not, is to try them.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll get some 9's and see. I'm pretty good at setting up my guitars, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get things back if it doesn't work out.

Archived