Gibson Brands Forums

archtops LPs with single pickup

Friedlander

I'm looking for informations about Les Paul archtop guitars equiped with a single pickup (LP Jr models are of course excluded). I've seen somewhere a truly magnificent example of a gold top Les Paul fitted with a P-90 in bridge position. But can't remember where it was, and have no idea who built it (CS ?). Are there any more guitars like this ? Has the Custom Shop built any ? Does it make sense do build such a guitar ?

Thanks for comments and help !

The only Les Paul that I have seen with a single pickup, outside of a Junior, is one in Billy Gibbon's book "Rock + Roll Gearhead." It is a custom gold top with a single P90 at the bridge and some sort of thing inlaid in the body (don't recall what it was). I tried to find a picture of it through a Google image search but had no luck. It's a very cool looking guitar and I'll have to take a look at the book again.

Beautiful. Thanks for the photos and references. It looks exactly like the one I remember, except it didn't have the "drink Mamba beer" on the neck, and had no insert on the body. So there are at least TWO gold tops with a single P-90 in the World. That's interesting...

ah this is killing me I am at work and unable to access www.youtube.com but I remember Billy Gibbons playing that guitar at the "Jools Holland" show.

Try doing a search on youtube using zz top jools holland and see if he is playing that guitar...

Agree, this is the youtube video where you can see the guitar but it is not the one with inlays, it has some finish wear that looks pretty cool. You can see the guitar batter towards the end of the video.

Enjoy...

Archived