Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Question

Triumph1050

Greetings.

Was a member here a couple of years ago but forgot my forum name and password so I just re-upped.

I own a 2003(I believe) Songwriter Deluxe. The serial number is: 01913041

A forum member back then used that number to tell me the year of this guitar. Maybe someone could let me know that info again?

Like I said, I think it's an '03 but not sure.

My question is, I see the new 2010 SWD models and there's a Standard and a Studio. There may be more but these two flavors are the ones I'm inquiring about. The new Standard is pricier but less ornate with a plainer bridge and more subtle inlays. Just a gorgeous guitar. The 2010 Studio is identical looking to my SWD. Here's the thing, my sticker inside from Gibson just says Songwriter Deluxe. No "Studio" or "Standard" wording.

My 2003 SWD is clearly a Studio(based on the new ones) and not a Standard but back in '03 were there both models of SWD offered? I dont recall seeing a Standard SWD back then.

Thanks for the clarification and if someone can look up my serial number again I'd appreciate knowing the exact model and year.

-John

Ok, so before 09 what versions of SWD were there? Were they called "Studio" and such or just simply SWD?

This one linked to is EXACTLY like mine from what I can see and it says it came out in 03.

But mine doesnt say "Studio" anywhere on it. Just "SWD" on the inside paper.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Studio.aspx

You have it right. Your SWD is just that; an SWD. In 2009 they made the SWD more expensive and called it "studio" and created an more subdued and more expensive SWD Standard and an SWD Custom model that is all blingy and super expensive. I'm glad I got my SWD when it was $1900 Cdn.

How can something be "deluxe" AND "standard"?? [blink]

Welcome back Triumph1050. Who were you before you forgot your username?

I have an 07 SWD. Before they expanded the range, there were only 2 versions, the cutaway and non-cutaway. The principle difference is the electrics. The cutaway has a Fishman system with eq, tuner etc with the controls on the side. The non-cutaway used a Baggs pickup with soundhole controls - just volume?

I'm not entirely sure which current model is the closest but the Studio EC looks identical to mine.

The 2 more expensive versions look fantastic but I don't understand why they abandonded the moustache bridge on these models.

Great to see the SWD getting more and more good press.

Welcome back Triumph1050. Who were you before you forgot your username?

He doesn't know!

The non-cutaway used a Baggs pickup with soundhole controls - just volume?

Does anyone happen to know if all none cutaway SWDs have the soundhole controls? It's just that my 2006 doesn't...

Ok, so before 09 what versions of SWD were there? Were they called "Studio" and such or just simply SWD?

This one linked to is EXACTLY like mine from what I can see and it says it came out in 03.

But mine doesnt say "Studio" anywhere on it. Just "SWD" on the inside paper.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Studio.aspx

That line of guitars originated from the CL series. (Custom Line). The name changed to the SongBird series and then to the SongWriter Series.

He doesn't know!

LOL...sad but true.

I've got too many names on too many boards. All I know is I tried various ones with common passwords I use and nothing got me in...so I just re-upped.

Thanks for the clarifications. It's as I suspected.

I also wondered about the sense of a "Deluxe Standard"...and even why a Standard cost more than a Studio. Seems backwards.

No worries. I love my SWD.

LOL...sad but true.

I've got too many names on too many boards. All I know is I tried various ones with common passwords I use and nothing got me in...so I just re-upped.

Thanks for the clarifications. It's as I suspected.

I also wondered about the sense of a "Deluxe Standard"...and even why a Standard cost more than a Studio. Seems backwards.

No worries. I love my SWD.

Gibson do tend to use the term "Studio" e.g.Les Pauls for a slightly unfrilled and hence less expensive models. They'll be doing them with Deluxe Gigbags soon!

One thing that did surprise me were the RRPs on the SWDs. They're monsterous, even by UK standards. I know noone pays the RRP but even so!

My 2009 SWD Standard was just around £2200 GBP. A lot of money by anyone's measure... But, at the time, the RRP was (IIRC) around $4500 USD!!

My understanding of the naming was that there were 2 Deluxe models - the EC (cutaway) and the Standard (non-cutaway). May be wrong though.

Archived