Gibson Brands Forums

So what are you playing these days?

Jazzcat83

I ask because I was at a gig this evening (my first gig with my new ES-359... towards the end a gentleman came up to me, joking around how I shouldn't be playing the blues through that guitar.. how it should be used for strictly jazz... He then went on to compliment my techniques and sound, so I asked, if my sound was so great... why can't I use this guitar? And he had said it was built for jazz! So I ask you... do the majority of you guys, play jazz with the semi-hollows?

Also, whatever the venue or genre, an added question... How worried are you about playing out with these guitars? ... I live in Florida where the humidity is around 80-90 daily...and today we played outside, so I was worried the entire span of the show!

Jazz on my 345.

Not worried so much as careful.

Main risk in this part of Australia is people who want to "have a go" rather than weather - and also those accidents that happen on stage. I always put the guitar on a stand out of the way or in its case, and it is always in my sight.

RN

Jazz, blues, rock, and other kinds of music are not in the guitar, but the player.

Before (and after) hollow and semi-hollow guitars were called "jazz boxes" (a marketing term) they were used thousands of rock and blues artists like T-Bone Walker, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, George Harrison, John Lennon, John Lee Hooker, Eric Clapton (with Yardbirds and Blind Faith), Justin Hayward, Alvin Lee, Roy Orbison, Carl Wilson, Martin Barre, and the list goes on and on.

Plus one of the ultimate solid body rock guitars in the hands of it's designer, Les Paul becomes the ultimate jazz guitar.

It's all about your choice of notes, phrasing, motifs, amp settings, fx, and all the other choices the musician makes.

Any genre of music isn't about what is in your hands, it's about what you do with your hands.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I agree with Norton....

It's the player not the guitar. [thumbup]

Me too... [thumbup]

if it is true what this guy said then Ted Nugent also never would have been able to play Heavy-Rock with a Byrdland [confused].

That's the nice thing with Gibson Guitars... They are so versatile... [thumbup]

Greetings,

PIT... :rolleyes:

I ask because I was at a gig this evening (my first gig with my new ES-359... towards the end a gentleman came up to me, joking around how I shouldn't be playing the blues through that guitar.. how it should be used for strictly jazz... He then went on to compliment my techniques and sound, so I asked, if my sound was so great... why can't I use this guitar? And he had said it was built for jazz!

What a d-bag. Do what you do and own it. To hell with the critics, haters, and style police. If they feel so strongly about the art, they can get up on stage and make their contribution.

Jazz standards and own compositions through the ES-175, and I agree with Norton for 70% on the player's part.

However (and that's why music is nothing else than subjective...) I can't produce the same warm tone I get from the hollow body, with my Les Paul.

Archived