Gibson Brands Forums

Random Facts Of Life.

Tman5293

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Yoda - or other girls - playing guitar...

I happen to rather appreciate the way this young lady has written under her avatar, "Yeah, I'm a girl....so what!"

That pretty much nails it.

I'll never forget my grandmother telling me of her own mother playing guitar. We're certainly talking about something in excess of 125 years ago with that one.

One nice thing about the folkie thing in the '60s is that there wasn't the baloney about "girls don't play guitar" that seems to have been followed followed a batch of third rate bands "fronted" by cute girls who weren't as skilled as the folkie girls but who ... uhhhh ... let their hair down more.

And seriously, I doubt there are a half dozen people on this board who could have played Wildwood Flower on Mother Maybelle's old Gibson acoustic with those extra heavy strings. I couldn't back when I was something like 20 or 21.

m

As for Yoda - or other girls - playing guitar...

I happen to rather appreciate the way this young lady has written under her avatar, "Yeah, I'm a girl....so what!"

That pretty much nails it.

I'll never forget my grandmother telling me of her own mother playing guitar. We're certainly talking about something in excess of 125 years ago with that one.

One nice thing about the folkie thing in the '60s is that there wasn't the baloney about "girls don't play guitar" that seems to have been followed followed a batch of third rate bands "fronted" by cute girls who weren't as skilled as the folkie girls but who ... uhhhh ... let their hair down more.

And seriously, I doubt there are a half dozen people on this board who could have played Wildwood Flower on Mother Maybelle's old Gibson acoustic with those extra heavy strings. I couldn't back when I was something like 20 or 21.

m

I used lines like that to motivate my daughters to do things they thought they couldn't. "I guess it's too _______, for girls." They'd redouble their efforts and show Daddy a thing or two. Then we'd have a hug after. [wub]

I grew up in the time females were just making inroads to the 'male' parts of society. Girls are every bit as tough and smart as us guys... my sisters made sure I knew it. When I was in Junior High, my sister's friend played guitar in her living room, quite well I might add. Her brothers, however, wouldn't let her play in their garage band... pity... And yes, she had long hair.

I'm sure Yoda plays much better than I. It was just a setup for my random fact of life. Here's another:

Yoda, a girl playing guitar quite well she is.

"When I was in Junior High, my sister's friend played guitar in her living room, quite well I might add. Her brothers, however, wouldn't let her play in their garage band... pity... And yes, she had long hair."

Tommy... Boy that was dumb, wasn't it. A good girl picker/singer in those days - a la Grace Slick or whatever, would have blown 'em away.

I always thought the mix of a boy/girl vocal works incredibly well regardless of style of music. A good picker makes it an even better mix.

m

The computer you hear whirring in the background has more computing power than all the computers in all the world when we put a man on the moon. They did it with slide rules.

There is more computing power in a $1 pocket calculator than was on the Apollo 11 LEM and Command module.

Tommy...

You reminded me of what I used to say some 30 years ago when I got a Vic-20 mostly to use to put titles on some videotapes I was shooting for a sports association.

I'd say that in 1942 the U.S. government would have given me any three states of my choice in return for the Vic. I'm not sure just how much I was teasing - and that was just an 8-bit 6502 chip as the cpu.

m

The computer you hear whirring in the background has more computing power than all the computers in all the world when we put a man on the moon. They did it with slide rules.

There is more computing power in a $1 pocket calculator than was on the Apollo 11 LEM and Command module.

The programs used on the missions were woven into ropes called "Core Rope Memory"... or LOL Memory (Little Old Lady Memory) as it was called by the ladies at the factory. :P

Archived