Gibson Brands Forums

Random Facts Of Life.

Tman5293

A gamma ray explosion realeases more energy in a microsecond than all the energy released by our sun in it's entire lifetime. It would also fry everything within a thousand light years.

The United States government uses gamma radiation to screen incoming vehicles from Mexico. The reason they use gamma radiation instead of X-rays is that it is more effective.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The United States government uses gamma radiation

to screen incoming vehicles from Mexico. The reason

they use gamma radiation instead of X-rays is that it

is more effective.

And I spoze it also kills any bugs on the fruit ...

Remember the Neutron Bomb ?

`

Actually I've heard some excellent arguments in favor of food preservation being undertaken using radiation.

X-rays likely would do other stuff to foods. I'm told, though, that proper radiation leaves no residual radiation in foods and could result in very long term storage at ambient temperatures for all sorts of foods.

Although the "greenies" seem against the idea, it's my observation after more than a few years watching how the food empires govern their fiefs, that they want meats and fresh veggies to rot so they can sell more and maintain cyclical pricing to consumers while also using those cycles to zap the producers.

m

Actually I've heard some excellent arguments in favor of food preservation being undertaken using radiation.

X-rays likely would do other stuff to foods. I'm told, though, that proper radiation leaves no residual radiation in foods and could result in very long term storage at ambient temperatures for all sorts of foods.

Although the "greenies" seem against the idea, it's my observation after more than a few years watching how the food empires govern their fiefs, that they want meats and fresh veggies to rot so they can sell more and maintain cyclical pricing to consumers while also using those cycles to zap the producers.

m

Irradiated food, stored in hermetically sealed containers can be stored on a shelf, indefinitely. There was a company in... Florida... I think that was set up to do this. They sold the foods door to door, multi-level marketing style (can you say AmWay). I almost bought into a dealership back in the 1980's. Trouble is the buying public hears 'irradiated' and equate that with 'radiation' aka radio active. I don't think they are in business any more, unless they are selling to the military via MREs. The buying public can be so ignorant sometimes.

Think of the energy we would save if we could all get buy with a dorm sized refrigerator or do without refrigeration?

[blink]

Tommy...

Yupper... but I think not even the greenies realize that it's the food companies who are the biggest anti folks on this one, regardless what some may claim.

Yeah, I'm cynical.

Let's see: Safer food, longer shelf and storage life... less energy for refrigeration... less trash for landfills... a steadier price structure for producers...

So what's not to like? The sort of cycles that can be played by the mega food firms - and there are darned few of them.

m

Archived