Gibson Brands Forums

is this guitar real?

sg_guitar

it is on ebay but this is the only pic of it

If that's the only picture of it, don't buy it. Don't buy a new Epiphone off of eBay unless it's from an authorized dealer like Guitar Center. If you have doubts, run away.

You can't cheat an honest man - William Claude Dukenfield

Have to agree with jerrymac - I enlarged the thumbnail,

copied it, then blew it up in my computer. It's well-made,

BUT the pickguard Screw is TOO CLOSE to the edge of the PG

for my taste - my EPI LP Studio has it much closer to the

middle of the PG, PLUS, the only picture, eh? Still in new box?

Something just "feels" wrong...

"WE ARE NOT AMUSED..."!!!

notamused.jpg

Had to go back and really look at his collection of gits.

He has 18 for sale, all with hardshell case, all with free P and P,

all at about 285GBP which equals $440 USD.

The "street price" here in USA fpr a Standard Top is $479, then add case

cost for around $70 USD, total of $549 USD.... A PLUS TOP street price is

$549 USD plus case $70 USD for total of $619 USD. Either this fellow is the

luckiest man on the planet to obtain SO MANY "NEW/IN THE BOX" Epi LPs at such

a fantastic price, or............????

Sure is something to drool over, but better off buying NEW from an established dealer.

Me doth think there is something rotten in Denmark (apologies to the Danes).

And we are definitely not amused (see earlier pic...) [thumbdn][thumbdn][thumbdn]

Looks quite fake to me. First of all, as already mentioned, the pickguard screw is too close to the edge. Second - checked my Standard, and the pots are aligned differently with the stopbar. Please, anyone correct me should there be a difference in that between Standard and the Tops.

Have a look at mine:

epilpstdeb.jpg

And I'm pretty much sure mine is legit.

Ever notice that they never take pictures straight on?

Looks to me like the alignment on the knobs are off. Can't tell for sure at that angle.

Agree about the pickguard screw.

As stated by Animalfarm, price is all wrong.

Angle on bridge is questionable. Can't tell for sure at that angle.

Can't tell from the picture if the bridge studs have thumb wheels.

New in box. If he was an authorized dealer I'm sure he would say so.

No good shot of headstock.

Now I'm no expert on Epiphoney guitars...but....

Just too many things not adding up. Just my opinion.

Willy

Ever notice that they never take pictures straight on?

Looks to me like the alignment on the knobs are off. Can't tell for sure at that angle.

Agree about the pickguard screw.

As stated by Animalfarm, price is all wrong.

Angle on bridge is questionable. Can't tell for sure at that angle.

Can't tell from the picture if the bridge studs have thumb wheels.

New in box. If he was an authorized dealer I'm sure he would say so.

No good shot of headstock.

Now I'm no expert on Epiphoney guitars...but....

Just too many things not adding up. Just my opinion.

Willy

That is fake no doubt about it. knobs in the wrong place and the screw to close to the edge of the pick guard

I have spent over a weeek looking at fake epiphones on ebay as a result of buying one the finding out it was fake [cursing]

Belive me 90% of them are fake on ebay and ebay dont give a flying monkeys about it.

Strange, but this picture Pete.R posted in the Poll topic shows the same alignment of the knobs, as the photo on ebay (though the pg screw position is still different):

P_LPPLUSVS.jpg

I'm confused, really. Do such things really vary so much?

You're confused, well look again at Pete.r's post - the two guitars in his post show different knob alignment - goes to show that they're not all the same - looks like some fakes do have knob alignment that matches real epi's

As far as I know:

Yes, depending on where or when the epi was made sometimes the knob placement varies slightly...but...

One thing has always remained constant:

If you draw a line from the center of the neck tone control through the neck volume control, the line will

point to a spot at about 2/3 into the cut-away at the top of the guitar. This has been a constant with every

Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul I have ever seen.

The thumbnail of the Ebay guitar shows it pointing very close to the top inside of the horn.

That is the knob alignment that looks off to me.

Real:

Knobsscrew-1-1.jpg

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

That is why I like to see a straight on photo.

Willy

Have to agree with jerrymac - I enlarged the thumbnail,

copied it, then blew it up in my computer. It's well-made,

BUT the pickguard Screw is TOO CLOSE to the edge of the PG

for my taste - my EPI LP Studio has it much closer to the

middle of the PG.

Mine too. Approx 7/8" from bracket side & 1" from bridge side.

Looks quite fake to me. First of all, as already mentioned, the pickguard screw is too close to the edge. Second - checked my Standard, and the pots are aligned differently with the stopbar.

I am a bit confused regarding the pots position issue. Here are two photos with slightly different pots postion I copied off the net. For sure the pick guard, the small photo, no head stock photo to verify serial # and too many guitar purchasing horror stories about ebay guitar purchases like the tone of this for me to say about face and off to my local guitar shop. If there are any issues I can always be content that there is a warranty period. Hell, some guitar shops will exchange no matter what the reason as they want you to be happy and come back for servicing or new gear in the future. That is "most".

However, I vote fake. Here is a link to check serial numbers out - http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx .

Good luck:).

Mine too. Approx 7/8" from bracket side & 1" from bridge side.

I am a bit confused regarding the pots position issue. Here are two photos with slightly different pots postion I copied off the net. For sure the pick guard, the small photo, no head stock photo to verify serial # and too many guitar purchasing horror stories about ebay guitar purchases like the tone of this for me to say about face and off to my local guitar shop. If there are any issues I can always be content that there is a warranty period. Hell, some guitar shops will exchange no matter what the reason as they want you to be happy and come back for servicing or new gear in the future. That is "most".

However, I vote fake. Here is a link to check serial numbers out - http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx .

Good luck:).

Serial numbers dont mean anything to be honest.They use the above site to get serial numbers. Anyone can copy a serial number look for obvious mistakes like EE

Just dont buy anything of ebaY that is listed as

"new with box"

"Good afternnon we are lucky enough to have special relationship with Epiphone"

They dont and it isnt!

Then you have the seller that doesnt even know they have a fake..just dont touch it unless you can go and collect in person and see what you are getting before you pay any money.

However, I vote fake. Here is a link to check serial numbers out - http://www.guitardat...g/epiphone.aspx .

Serial numbers dont mean anything to be honest.They use the above site to get serial numbers. Anyone can copy a serial number look for obvious mistakes like EE

invasion is correct, don't think the Serial # Decoder will help you spot a fake. It,s not a list of serial #s, it just spots the pattern and deciphers it. I just made up a serial # EE09101234. Here's what the the Decoder says:

Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China

October 2009

Production Number: 1234

The problem is that Epiphone stopped using that format in 2008, so it's not a legit # despite what the Decoder says. Just for fun, let's make up another # EE36051234. Here's what the Decoder says:

May 1936

I didn't know Epiphone had a factory in China in 1936!!!

Neither of the numbers I made up are legitimate, any guitar with those #s would be an obvious fake, yet the Decoder recognized them as real.

Just dont buy anything of ebaY that is listed as

"new with box"

"Good afternnon we are lucky enough to have special relationship with Epiphone"

They dont and it isnt!

Then you have the seller that doesnt even know they have a fake..just dont touch it unless you can go and collect in person and see what you are getting before you pay any money.

Thanks invasion....I wasn't sure about the site.

invasion is correct, don't think the Serial # Decoder will help you spot a fake. It,s not a list of serial #s, it just spots the pattern and deciphers it. I just made up a serial # EE09101234. Here's what the the Decoder says:

October 2009

The problem is that Epiphone stopped using that format in 2008, so it's not a legit # despite what the Decoder says. Just for fun, let's make up another # EE36051234. Here's what the Decoder says:

May 1936

I didn't know Epiphone had a factory in China in 1936!!!

Neither of the numbers I made up are legitimate, any guitar with those #s would be an obvious fake, yet the Decoder recognized them as real.

thanks for the confirmation jerrymac. I guess you have to buy the blue book to verify the serial numbers?

Still confused about the pots positions in relationship to the stop tail piece.

thanks for the confirmation jerrymac. I guess you have to buy the blue book to verify the serial numbers?

Blue Book isn't going to know.

Once you know the code, it's easy to come up with a serial number. Prior to 2008, it's FYYMMxxxx where F=Factory Y=Year M=Month x=guitar production number. So let's make up a number. We'll use EE for the Epiphone factory in QingDao China. The factory opened around 2002 and as noted they serial #s changed in 2008. So anything 02 to 08 will be OK, let's make it 2007. EE07...... so far. I was born in June, so let's make our imaginary guitar June of 2007. EE0706.... That's the 234th imaginary guitar I built this month, so the final number is EE07060234. Check it on the Guitar Dater or any where else that has a serial # guide, it's a legitimate serial # in the sense that it fits the pattern. If I stamp that number on my imaginary counterfeit, it will be a legitimate number on an illegitimate guitar. Maybe there's a real guitar with that number, maybe not. But it doesn't matter, Blue Book or Guitar dater won't have a list of every Epiphone ever made, if you check the serial # it's going to look legit.

If I can break the code and come up with a proper number, so can the scammers.

This conversation is very interesting.

Can anyone check out these photos for me?

Look legit or not?

The number looks like 08081508990 to me.

Later on

Kev

08 08 is August 2008 and 15 is the Epiphone factory in China, so that looks good. Here's my problem with the guitar, USA imports would have a Inspected and set up in the USA sticker like this:

LPCstTop2.jpg

All guitars distributed in the USA (and I think Canada but I'm not 100%) should bear one of those stickers. Since you're in Virginia, I would question how it got into the USA if not through the Gibson USA distributor.

So...there is no way whatsoever to be able to tell if it is a 100% fake Epiphone guitar? I have checked various photos on the Gibson/Epiphone website and I see so many with different pots positions, different headstock transitions from the neck to the headstock (the cut/shape of the transition) and different alignment of the tuners.

Does Epiphone put headstocks similar in design to the Epiphone Semi-Hollowbody guitars on certain editions of their Les Paul guitars? Their headstocks look like they have a different cut than the Les Pauls? I see some differences in the headstocks of the Les Paul Customs. (the bottom of the haedstock where it transitions into the neck)

I have checked all points presented in this thread. The above statements are a result of my limited comparison capability. I will continue to compare going forward but it is very confusing. If Epiphone would have kept a handle on their products and serial numbers this would not be an issue IMHO.

If this is indeed the situation I doubt I will buy a used Epiphone guitar ever again. It may deter me from purchasing a new one because utlimately, I may never be able to prove 100% that the guitar is legitimate. Apart from disection.

Also, I was hoping someone may sign in with some info/enlightenment from official Gibson/Epiphone. :(

Archived