Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus?

IanHenry

Hi,

I'm new on here, so I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have seen a couple of Gibson Les Paul’s that I am interested in buying, but neither of them are listed on the Gibson web site. One is a Les Paul Studio Premium Plus and the other is a Les Paul Classic Antique. Can anyone give an opinion on those two guitars, which is the best value (the Classic is £400 more expensive) and has anyone owned those instruments and would be happy to share their opinions?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

P.S £400 is approximately $800

Hi,

I'm new on here, so I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have seen a couple of Gibson Les Paul’s that I am interested in buying, but neither of them are listed on the Gibson web site. One is a Les Paul Studio Premium Plus and the other is a Les Paul Classic Antique. Can anyone give an opinion on those two guitars, which is the best value (the Classic is £400 more expensive) and has anyone owned those instruments and would be happy to share their opinions?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

P.S £400 is approximately $800

I love, love my studio plus. I sometimes wish it had binding, but I happen to really like the pickups, the neck, and everything else. It's my only Les Paul and I don't know if I'll ever buy another. I haven't played a Classic Antique, but I think the "value" has a lot to do with what is important to you. Do you have a chance to play both guitars? Whenever possible, that's how you should make a decision like that.

Welcome to the forum.

The Studio is one of the best deals out there. And the premium plus has a AAA figured maple top, covered 490R/498T pups, 50s neck.

The Classic Antique has a AA figured maple top, uncovered 57/57+ pups, antique binding - body, neck, headstock, and 60s slim taper neck.

If you're not already, acquaint youself with the two neck types - the 50s is rounder (bigger around).

The pups on the Studio PP are on the hot side and the Classic pups have a bit of a warmer tone.

Without knowing what you want in terms of pups, neck profile, and bling - all I can say is both are fine guitars. £400 seems like kind of a big price gap when the difference between the two is mainly binding.

Thanks for your reply guys,

Yes I have played both guitars, and of the two I probably prefer the warm sustain of the Classic, but I’m not sure if it is worth the difference in price.

I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and am looking for a Gibson to replace it (it’s been a lifetime ambition to own a genuine Gibson, they are rather expensive here in the U.K)

The Studio Premium Plus looks very nice; it’s in a colour called “Root beer” which I’ve never seen before.

As I said I like the tone of the Classic, but wonder if I bought the Studio would I grow to love it’s sound?

Regards,

Ian.

Now that you've said you like the sound of the 57 pups, I recommend you try to work out a deal on the Classic. Once you've got it in your head - if you settle for the better price - down the road you'll be kicking yourself for not trying to work out a deal on the sound you liked best. Maybe cash and throw in the Epi?

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to thank everyone who posted on this thread offering their help and suggestions and to let you know that I have just bought the Les Paul Antique Classic today and I’m rather pleased with it.

It’s brand new, but the date on it says it was built in 2008 so it’s old stock. It’s also one of two Classics that I have been able to find here in my little corner of the U.K, the other one being of a similar vintage but second hand (and not much different in price) and I was a little worried that someone else would buy it before I raised the extra £400 over the cost of the Studio Premium Plus. The sound if fantastic, far better and more “mellow” than all the other Les Pauls that I have looked at including ones costing considerably more.

I am very pleased with my purchases so now I’m going to bore you all by showing yo a picture of it!

Regards and may thanks,

Ian.

P.S R9 I’m sorry if I started this in the wrong part of the forum.

Archived