Gibson Brands Forums

Help me out with Gibson's acoustic line...

Nick Beach

I've never had a Gibson acoustic, which I suppose is rather odd, since I've always been a Gibson electric player. But I'm in the market for an acoustic again and I'm thinking about getting a Gibson. I'm a finger picker, never use a pick on an acoustic, only use one half the time on electric. I'm also quite fond of Martin 000 and OM models. I don't do cutaway, or jumbo, or 12 fret necks, and I prefer rosewood back/side or mahogany, with adirondack spruce being my first choice for wood top. So can anyone help me out as to a what Gibson's to take a look at? I tried checking Gibson's main web site, but I got aggravated at flipping through pages of Epiphones/banjo's/mandolin's. Any help would be much appreciated.

For the record right now the two acoustics at the top of the list are the Martin OMJM, and Martin 000-28EC.

Go out and try a lot. Then come back and give us a report. The basis of what you experienced, your feelings and thoughts, will show some kind of rougher direction. After that I'm sure all the these veteran Gibson forumers and players (much wiser than me) will help you further into a precise choice.

Best winds on the way - You are in a lucky position.

It seems youre pretty set on getting an OM sized guitar, and frankly Gibson doesnt fare that well with the smaller sized guitars. There is the CJ-165 but i havent been impressed with the ones Ive played and also the L-20 which might tickle your fancy.

But to be honest it seems youre pretty set on a Martin and with the models you mentioned you cant go wrong. I love the larger Gibson guitars but prefer Martin for the smaller ones. In the end i bought something inbetween, in a Furch (Stonebridge) OM which has Martin inspired tone and feel but also with more balance which you will find in a Gibson.

Overall my advice would be get one of the Martins.

I play only with my fingers - both acoustic and electric. In many ways I ain't all that picky with acoustics - Depeding on my mood that day I may gig a mid-1930s Kay Kraft and the next day with a mid-1950s Gibson SJ. Very different sounding guitars but I like 'em both.

But on an acoustic you probably want a well balanced guitar with good volume. To my ears, for instance, Taylors are too bright and Martin dreads too boomy. The thing about Gibson jumbos is that a good example will tend to sound more balanced than say a Martin dread. And then you have those characteristic Gibson saturated mids.

For whatever reason and even though I ain't a big fan of signature guitars one of my favorite Bozeman-made Gibsons has been the Woody Guthrie SJ. I also agree with the Adi top J-45 suggestion.

J-165ec Rosewood

Small body, AAA Indian rosewood back and sides; AA Sitka spruce top; Fishman Aura Pro factory installed; Antique burst or Natural.

If you're interested, here's a J-185 thread to check out (a couple rosewood pics) - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/54765-j-185/

And another thread on the 'best rosewood Gibson' - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/54698-best-rosewood-gibson/

Shred - Good luck with whatever you pick. B)

f1a5b01e-b72a-450c-9a1e-65426ba0750b.jpg

I'd play every one that I could get my hands on. Don't rule-out any size at this point. You might find a dread that blows you away, or it might be a smaller guitar as you are currently leaning to. Play them all. Most guitars can be great for fingerpicking, provided they have the "right" setup for "you." Don't take any of them out-of-the-picture at this stage. You might miss the proverbial "holy grail." The more you play, the better informed you will be.

Keep us informed.

Thanks for all the help guys I'm heading out of town this week so I'll try and play some different guitars with an enfaces on the ones you guys mentioned. The reason I'm looking at Martin mainly is because all my favorite acoustics I've had were Martin 000 or OM models. But some of the non cutaway J 185's that were posted in the thread for them looked very nice. The only thing I don't like about them are the inlays in the bridge, but I could learn to live with that no problem if the guitar plays and sounds great.

It's times like these that I regret getting rid of my Martin's. Choosing new stuff is so hard. [lol]

Thanks for all the help guys I'm heading out of town this week so I'll try and play some different guitars with an enfaces on the ones you guys mentioned. The reason I'm looking at Martin mainly is because all my favorite acoustics I've had were Martin 000 or OM models. But some of the non cutaway J 185's that were posted in the thread for them looked very nice. The only thing I don't like about them are the inlays in the bridge, but I could learn to live with that no problem if the guitar plays and sounds great.

It's times like these that I regret getting rid of my Martin's. Choosing new stuff is so hard. [lol]

The current J-185s offered do not have the Maltese crosses on the bridge like the originals and the TVs do. To me they are part of what defines the J-185 but to each his own.

As for an Adi/rosewood Gibson model- I don't think there are any offered in the standard model line although there a quite a few custom offerings out there built that way- check with Fullers Vintage Guitars to see what they have. Last I checked with them they offered to order me a J-185 with TV specs in rosewood and sitka for $2800. Adi would be more. It's not a bad deal but a little more than I want to spend.

Archived