Gibson Brands Forums

Need a new case for my Baby

Timleo

Hey folks,

I'm performing a contract in Michigan until the end of October, and am using my Hummingbird Pro while I'm here. Right after Halloween, I'll be on an East Coast national tour, and will have my Gibson with me for the duration of the contract. I'd like to get a better hardshell case for my guitar while I'm on the road, and was wondering if you all had any suggestions.

I was thinking perhaps a TKL case or something. Before anyone suggests it, I cannot afford a Calton case haha. No way. But if I could find something that perhaps had some humidity control, and was a bit more shock absorbant (so I wouldn't be so nervous flying with it/being on a tour bus during the winter), I would greatly appreciate it. Mainly it just needs to fit. I haven't had much luck so far in finding a case that fits snugly around my Hummingbird. I'm assuming it's due to the square shoulders or something.

Again, any suggestions are indeed appreciated!

-Tim

Hey folks,

I'm performing a contract in Michigan until the end of October, and am using my Hummingbird Pro while I'm here. Right after Halloween, I'll be on an East Coast national tour, and will have my Gibson with me for the duration of the contract. I'd like to get a better hardshell case for my guitar while I'm on the road, and was wondering if you all had any suggestions.

I was thinking perhaps a TKL case or something. Before anyone suggests it, I cannot afford a Calton case haha. No way. But if I could find something that perhaps had some humidity control, and was a bit more shock absorbant (so I wouldn't be so nervous flying with it/being on a tour bus during the winter), I would greatly appreciate it. Mainly it just needs to fit. I haven't had much luck so far in finding a case that fits snugly around my Hummingbird. I'm assuming it's due to the square shoulders or something.

Again, any suggestions are indeed appreciated!

TKL cases are a good choice. Their "middle-of-road" line of cases are truly road-worthy. Cases are like justice in the court system, you get just what you can afford.

-Tim

I prefer the TKL OEM style cases to the molded plastic type, other opinions may vary.

Since TKL is the supplier for Gibson cases, they know exactly what case fits which guitar. The best way to insure you get the proper fitting case is to e-mail the US TKL distributor, info@tkl.com , and ask them for the model number of the cases to fit your guitar. TKL generally makes three grade cases for each guitar model (good, better, best), and you should receive the various models numbers in reply. I would recommend the mid-grade or premium grade cases for your use. The low grade cases, although a great price-to-quality ratio, are "light duty", more suitable for home storage than bus cargo hold. I believe the cases Gibsons come in are the "mid-grade".

Once you have the model numbers and pick your quality level you can shop for the specific model number case with confidence of a proper fit and function. DO NOT let some retail employee tell you "sure, we have a case to fit your guitar", without confirming the specific manufactures model number.

Following this peocedure I recently bought a new TKL case for my 1947 L-7 archtop from First Quality Music FQMS.COM .Great product, great price, great service, perfect fit.

I was thinking perhaps a TKL case or something. ... (so I wouldn't be so nervous flying with it...) ...

Tim,

No way I would be anything other than extremely nervous flying with a baggage-checked plywood case these days. If I couldn't afford a Calton, I would go with a Hiscox Artist or maybe a Hoffee carbon fiber case (http://www.carbonfibercases.com/). If I couldn't afford either of those, I'd go with a Hiscox Pro II. If I couldn't afford the Pro II, I'd either figure I'm too poor to fly anyway and stay home.

By the way, once nice thing about the Hiscox cases is that the fit is a bit less critical than on a Calton -- Hiscox has a different suspension approach, with blocks of more compressible foam holding the guitar in place. Each approach works better than the other for certain sorts of impacts.

-- Bob R

You might have seen this, but it's worth a link for this thread - as Rar says - "extremely nervous flying with a baggage-checked plywood case these days".

The song writer, Dave Carroll, put the smack down on United with this YouTube hit and they begged for mercy. B)

Here's the whole story - http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/ubg/story/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

I have a custom made flight case that I don't use. It is plywood with aluminum sheet all around with reinforced edging and corner knukles. I have flown it and driven all over with it. Guitar has not ever been damaged. It has two latches and a separate lock with two keys. It does way about 60 to 80 lbs.

If you are interested, I'll post pictures of it.

A TKL or SKB plastic case is a good choice, but you might also consider a foam hardcase. I've travelled with one a few times now. Arguably, they take more abuse without damage to the guitar than the average plastic or plywood cases. After they take a licking, you can still close them properly too - unlike a plastic hardshell case.

Archived