Gibson Brands Forums

For those who want to play by ear but can't...

mcmurray

Now for me that be would boring.... [biggrin] .... I remember a pal that wanted to show me some blues scales, and after 10 minutes I just told him lets jam a song, and turn the amps up.... I like music loud and raw

When I practice or whatever, my amp is cranked and so is the PA system [biggrin]

I agree it is boring as hell but for some of us it is the only way it comes. The blazing speed part anyway. I'm with you on the crank up and jam bit but It's all about what you are going for. Warren haynes, David Gilmour or Yingwee - Paul Gilbert?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I jam on Beatles songs loud [biggrin] ..... When I jam with my daughter it's loud.... When I jam with my pals it's loud......... To me everything feels and sounds better loud

Yeah I like loud too. Thus the two 73 100 watt non master Super lead half stacks I own. Unfortunately the tenidous sets in anymore and my ears ring to the point that I can't stand it. I blame the drummer I used to play with that used a piccolo snare and played like John Bonham. Every time he would smack that thing it made me dizzy... So I use the attenuator now.

We need more threads like this one.... Now, whats the best way to get my fingers nimble, accurate and fast?

I'm working on it also, but this book is the best I've seen on the subject: http://www.music44.com/X/&unism=4&unisk=699323-H2&AffID=1001

reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Mechanics-Guitar-Stylistic-Method/product-reviews/0793509629/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&qid=1291788036&sr=8-1

Now for me that be would boring.... [biggrin] .... I remember a pal that wanted to show me some blues scales, and after 10 minutes I just told him lets jam a song, and turn the amps up.... I like music loud and raw

When I practice or whatever, my amp is cranked and so is the PA system [biggrin]

What?

Yep! And that is the book I was using during that time period in my previous post. Troy is from Indy I met him once when he was recording at my friends house who played drums on his tracks. Troy can burn it up!

• 3 months later...

I have always said practice makes perfect. What I used to do to practice was pick Green Day songs (favorite band) and knowing it was all power chords, I could figure out the song. After a while, it was about trying other things. I often get confused by certain vocabulary so hearing over and over to me is the best way to go. Not always the most convenient but if it works, it works.

• 4 months later...

Archived