Gibson Brands Forums

Old crappy guitars...

Silenced Fred

Supply meet Demand, Demand meet Supply..

Yup, I'm a Jack White and bigger Dan Auerbach fan. Jack plays Kay's and Airline (Montgomery Ward's brand) guitar's as well as a very customized Gretsch.

Dan's 3 pup Harmony is a sweet guitar you can get on Ebay for ~800. In the early days of the Keys you could see him with a telecaster with a Bigsby. He also has played a sexy Gibson LP w/p90's, and has a really sweet Harmony Stratotone

Dan_Auerbach.jpg

dan_auerbach_top.jpg

And a killer Ibanez lawsuit SG copy

VFest001410.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, Stratotone, Kay, Silvertone, Airline, most deparment store's brands. ... all made by Harmony. That's why they sold so many. Harmony was owned by Sears and Roebuck. Yup, Amp in case... those are, due to nostalgia, much sought after.... just because the amp was in the case. [thumbup]

And yes, tuners were crap, but there are better tuners in town.

I have no idea who the Black Keys are.

Kate Beckinsdale is hot.

Dude, check em out. They are my favorite band and have been for like the past year. Dan Auerbach is very unknown, but a great guitarist. Go on Youtube, and watch "Your Touch", "Tighten Up", "I Got Mine", "10 AM Automatic", and "Thickfreakness".

Sick stuff coming out of Akron

Sick stuff coming out of Akron

Aside from me after eating at the closest Whitecastle to my home (6 or 7 sliders and 2 orders of fries). BTW, I live in Richmond, VA and the White Castle in Akron, OH is the closest one. No, I didn't go to Akron just for WC.

I'll check out his songs.

Fred, back to the original question--maybe part of it has to do with sound. A lot of the sound quality comes from the wood. And the more the wood ages (and subsequently dries out), the better it resonates in different ways. You age a wood for 50 years or so, and it's gonna change quite a bit. It's gonna sound different. And in the case of guitars, it's usually gonna sound better. There are those who would want them because they're old antiques, but there are some people that want them because they actually sound good compared to some of the newer stuff. And the old adage applies that, "they just don't make 'em like they used to." Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, as soon as someone says, "hey, I like that," the price of "that" immediately goes way up. Some of 'em might be crappy, but I've played some old Sears-sold, student model guitars that actually sounded really good. That's just my opinion . . . .

I think that finding some of the old stuff may happen in a pawn shop - but I've also decided that around here, anyway, they really put some unrealistic price tags on 'em and they ain't negotiating.

I saw one, for example, with a nasty neck twist, strings on the pups and they wanted like $400 for a no-name '60s import, probably from Japan...

So I'd say you may be as likely to find one at a yard sale where "grandma and grandpa" are dumping some of the stuff their now-40s "children" don't care about.

m

Ok, so not because of Jack White, but because of Dan Auerbach,

I have been looking for a Harmony like his. prices are off the

wall on these guitars that nobody wanted when they were brand

new, but now everyone wants em. What gives?

I mean, seriously?

Wellll like seriously, you've already

answered your own question .... or

are you just just venting ? In which

case, lemme buy you a cyberbeer.

`

Valid point M. Yard sales can sometimes land you a gem.

or watching peoples trash cans [thumbup]

early summer last summer, i was out playing tennis at 11am and i was at home in da shower and my mom comes screaming at the door "DIEGO I FOUND A GUITAR!!!!!" and so i ran out of that bathroom put some pants on (backwards [tongue] ) and hopped in the car. we drove up the road and there sat a acoustic guitar, made by stella in the u.s.a. looked it up and it was a 1965 parlor guitar.

sometimes you get lucky :rolleyes:

P.s it works, it just had a broken nut. that was easily fixed.

Diego...

Lucky you and - I hope your Mom got at least a big hug from you. That was a super find. Heck, I'm old, and I'd still give my Mom a big hug.

The Harmony/Stella original thing seems to have your guitar from near the end of the original corporate existence.

Harmony made some decent stuff, a bit overengineered in ways, but decent. Stella ended up at that time period as their "inexpensive" line, but it was a lot better than the first generation of Japanese imports that were horrid. They probably overexpanded in the 60s to meet an explosion of the guitar marketplace between rockers and folksies - and that came around the time of the second generation of Japanese guitars that were decent and actually less expensive and looked "neat" in many cases.

I wish Dad hadn't dumped his 30s-50s guitar (??? I last saw it probably in '58) that, in retrospect, almost certainly was a "Stella" regardless of the name on the top. A lotta different names went on them. He never learned to play and when he was 70 or so got a baritone uke he could sorta play. My baby bro - who's approaching 40 - played some wild looking thing in high school and beyond, but does better with the keyboard and computer.

m

Diego...

Lucky you and - I hope your Mom got at least a big hug from you. That was a super find. Heck, I'm old, and I'd still give my Mom a big hug.

The Harmony/Stella original thing seems to have your guitar from near the end of the original corporate existence.

Harmony made some decent stuff, a bit overengineered in ways, but decent. Stella ended up at that time period as their "inexpensive" line, but it was a lot better than the first generation of Japanese imports that were horrid. They probably overexpanded in the 60s to meet an explosion of the guitar marketplace between rockers and folksies - and that came around the time of the second generation of Japanese guitars that were decent and actually less expensive and looked "neat" in many cases.

I wish Dad hadn't dumped his 30s-50s guitar (??? I last saw it probably in '58) that, in retrospect, almost certainly was a "Stella" regardless of the name on the top. A lotta different names went on them. He never learned to play and when he was 70 or so got a baritone uke he could sorta play. My baby bro - who's approaching 40 - played some wild looking thing in high school and beyond, but does better with the keyboard and computer.

m

you are( [tongue]) very wise [biggrin]

it was a great find, didnt really know if it was worth anything though, it plays fine and all. it was made by stella, NOT harmony.... i dont think :-k

Actually, according to Broadway Music's Harmony history the opposite occured. Harmony, largest guitar maker at the time, was at an impasse. Guitars were flying out off the production floor in an attempt to meet the "Folk Music Craze" of the 1960's. They had a choice, either expand to increase production to meet and exceed demand, a process that is expensive and takes years to recoup or just keep producing at capacity and let others have the rest. They chose the latter. This gave Pac Rim manufacturers a toe hold in the country, thus creating more competition. When demand waned, Harmony had a hard time holding on to what they had before.

Was it a bad decision? Dunno. Some say they should have expanded, but in a boom market, you never know when the bust is coming. Had they invested in another factory, they could just as easily succumbed to the inability to pay for the new factory, once demand tanked.

Scenarios like this have played themselves out hundreds of times in the last hundred years. Railroads, cell phones, airlines, Ty Beanie Babies, Cabbage Patch dolls... the list goes on and on.

Tommy...

My understanding is that Harmony did expand - just perhaps not enough to meet demand and fend off Asian competition. Regardless, they were deeply in debt by the 1970s.

Stella was purchased by Harmony apparently in 1939. I don't know from what era Leadbelly got his Stella 12. The Stella 12s of the 1960s were pretty utilitarian.

Personal opinion is that the Harmony line was seen as uninspiringly mid-level, not "bad" in the 1960s and early 70s. Uninteresting. Your Uncle Joe's guitar, not one you might aspire to. As Asian imports became more attractive to the youth market, that's one place Harmony really lost it.

Anyway, that's how it appeared to me at the time.

m

Archived