Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think about this?

Nick Beach

I recently played a 63 southern jumbo, in mint condition, just a little checking on the top. Has a natural top on it. It's on consignment at my favorite small local store, and I know both the owner of the shop and the owner of the guitar really well. They said I could take it for 1200, which I believe is a good deal (feel free to comment on how good the deal is). But my main concern is that I'm in the market for two new acoustics, I'll be doing a large amount of traveling with them, and touring quite a bit with them, and I'm not sure how I feel about taking a perfect condition 63 guitar out knowing that it will get beat up and will truly look its age in 10 years or less. What do you guys think. I guess the main question is do you think it's okay to beat up a guitar that's made it nearly 50 years without any damage?

Hy Shred

I take two guitars on gig,s with me, one is a standard SJ 100 and the other is a beatutifull Custom SJ 300, the 100 is my backup guitar.

I personally bought them to play as well as for there looks, I dont think that you would be happy buying a guitar then leaving it at home when you are touring, there would be no point in that unless you bought it as an investment. I say if you like it buy it, you will be happy playing it, and the guitar will be happy being played that,s what it was made for. If the gigs are such that the guitar could possibly get damaged, you either refuse the gig or play a second guitar.. It,s up to you in the end, as long as you enjoy it.

Terry

I'm actually less stressed taking an old "worn-in" guitar that's vintage out than I am a new, perfect guitar out to

places where it could be in harm's way. Or... if it was not very expensive in the first place. $1200 is a really good deal,

but I'd wonder why that was so. Didn't they put the dreaded plastic bridge on the SJ's in '63?

If you like the way it sounds, play it out; it's a pretty damn good deal.

I would never buy a guitar, no matter how old if i feel it would not be able to be played out.

I have a vintage CW thats beat up a bit, but has a killer tone and i want to make sure other folks get a chance to hear it other than myself and my wife ..

Assuming it has the all important sound you want, go for it. At that price you can't go wrong. Do you best to take care of it on the road, that's all you can do. If it gets a little road "patina" over time it will feel like it evolved with you and your playing, and there's no harm in that.

Being a '63 makes it nice, but not the height of Gibson collectables, so it's not like you're subjecting the holy grail to dings and scratches. Seems like a great deal, and we all know those don't come around often enough!

Guitars are meant to be played, not museum pieces. If this vintage Gibson is only selling for $1200, it's a player. For whatever reason it is not of 'investment' or 'dust collector' quality. If it was it would be in pristine condition in a pristine, OEM HSC, with electronified humidifier and with Lloyd Loar's signature on the certificate of authenticy, whose voice is to be shared with no one. ... a sad little guit tar indeed. [crying] If it were, it there would be another zero on the end of the price. Buy it and play it like it was meant to be. =D> And yes, take it on road trips, using the usual precautions.

Guitars are meant to be played, not museum pieces. If this vintage Gibson is only selling for $1200, it's a player. For whatever reason it is not of 'investment' or 'dust collector' quality. If it was it would be in pristine condition in a pristine, OEM HSC, with electronified humidifier and with Lloyd Loar's signature on the certificate of authenticy, whose voice is to be shared with no one. ... a sad little guit tar indeed. [crying] If it were, it there would be another zero on the end of the price. Buy it and play it like it was meant to be. =D> And yes, take it on road trips, using the usual precautions.

Amen.....enjoy the guitar, and if you don't want it, let me know.....by the way, what is the nut width on that guitar. If it is like my friends, it is 1 5/8". That is a little too narrow for me....but if it works for you. Also, you will probably want to add a pickup, so this will change things too.....but good luck in the hunt!!!

Archived