Gibson Brands Forums

Sad Day for my J-45

folkster

I played at an event for my school last night that went great. However, after the event was over the sound guy pulled a cord and knocked my J-45 off of my stand. I've had this happen before in which case my guitar's neck was broken. However, this time, there didn't seem to be anything wrong save for the guitar being out of tune. I've checked the guitar top to bottom. I've checked the angles with a straight edge and everything looks good. I'm concerned about the electronics since it was plugged in when it fell but I will find that out tonight as I am playing again. Anything else I should be looking for?

Experienced the same yesterday, damn it. Had to close the upper window for the rising autumn winds and reached out without seeing my shirt catching the head of my J-45. Baaang ! straight down on the face it went. Horrified I picked it up - no visuel damage, then checked the neck. Nothing, , , but when playing I kept feeling some spooky difference the rest of the day. During today learned there was nothing to it. Things like that never happen to me and then suddenly uuuagggh. Most accidents unfold at home, they say. How lucky we were.

Hey man, I've had a ton of stupid accidents on stage with guitars sitting around. But I can say since I got a guitar rack to keep them on, I haven't had any problems. I also mean a really nice one, with sides and something to go in front of the guitars neck to hold it in place.

It can happen to anyone. When we went to go see Jackson Browne earlier this year, someone in the audience brought some roses and a bottle of wine up to the stage and placed them there for Jackson. After he finished his song, he went over to pick up the items and in the process knocked over one of his guitars which he had just placed on its stand. It was almost funny as you could clearly see the crew go into a panic. Jackson ended up making a joke about it, something to the effect of how he would never get upset over messing up one of his guitars. Everyone else new better. Fortunately, his guitar appeared to be okay as well.

All the best,

Guth

"Jackson ended up making a joke about it, something to the effect of how he would never get upset over messing up one of his guitars. Everyone else new better. Fortunately, his guitar appeared to be okay as well."

So clumsy things happen to even J. Browne, what a relief to know. To laugh oneself out of it is the way to go, , , on stage. And Jackson can afford it. I saw him solo from the first row a couple of years ago. What a collection of acoustics - think he had 15 or so with him up there. (Many of them slope shouldered Gibsons by the way).

I learned Jamaica Say You Will this spring. Always loved the Byrds version and never knew it was Brownes work before finding him doin' it on piano on the Tube (1972). It's just so good. The peek occuring on 2:14 when he reaches the 'hiding from this world together ~ next thing I knew' line. It makes me cry - He's in the top of the tops.

I would try to leave the guitar in it's case, even on stage......sorry to hear that happened......

That's pretty impossible to do, especially if you're changing between several guitars during a set on a small stage.

Glad you're 45's escaped major damage.

Archived