Gibson Brands Forums

Help, My Next Gibby?

Danner

I have a TVSJ, and I want to add another new Gibson. Since the SJ is a round should, mahogany, tobacco sunburst guitar, the next one won't have any of those features. Also, I don't like cut-away bodies.

So, this is the short list:

SJ-200 Studio

624688.jpg

SongWriter Deluxe Studio

460936.jpg

J-185

584838.jpg

What do you suggest as a compliment to the Southerner Jumbo?

Alternatives?

Play a few and see which you like better - rosewood or maple.

If it's maple, and you go with the regular type SJ-200 (aka STD), find one with a single pair of MOP bridge ribbons (located behind the bridge pins) - gives a better break angle over the saddle . . . (some have two pair, the second pair is between the pins and the saddle, increasing that distance and decreasing the break angle over the saddle)

An almost impossible choice!

In your position, I'd probably go for maple. The 200 feels considerably larger than the 185 and I would lean towards the latter, only for that reason. But if you are looking for that authentic Pete Townshend sound (which I love) then it has to be a 200.

Having said all that, my SWD is brilliant and wouldn't swap it for either of the other 2.

It can be a pain in the arse you know, sitting on the fence!

Play a few and see which you like better - rosewood or maple.

If it's maple, and you go with the regular type SJ-200 (aka STD), find one with a single pair of MOP bridge ribbons (located behind the bridge pins) - gives a better break angle over the saddle . . . (some have two pair, the second pair is between the pins and the saddle, increasing that distance and decreasing the break angle over the saddle)

Interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The one pictured as no mother of pearl, so it would be good to go, yes? The ribbons are found on the higher end and signature models?

Interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The one pictured as no mother of pearl, so it would be good to go, yes? The ribbons are found on the higher end and signature models?

Yes. And yes.

Sorry to confuse you - these pics will clear it up -

Here's 2 bridge inlays (pins close to the saddle) - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Here's 4 bridge inlays (pins farther away from the saddle) -

mag001134A.jpg. . gib5.jpg

Yes. And yes.

Sorry to confuse you - these pics will clear it up -

Here's 2 bridge inlays (pins close to the saddle) - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Here's 4 bridge inlays (pins farther away from the saddle) -

mag001134A.jpg. . gib5.jpg

OK, that's very clear now. Thank you very much.

All-righty then. Just got back from Guitar Center. I got there early, and had the acoustic guitar room to myself. That was nice.

I played a SWD and a high end J-200 (maple) for almost 1/2 hour. I even remembered to bring a pick and took the time to tune both of them.

Winner? No contents, the J-200 stood head and shoulders over the SWD to my liking. Frankly, the SWD sounded very similar to may rosewood dreads that I have played over the years. Not a bad thing at all, but the J-200 stood out as the power instrument with the golden tome.

That is all...

I don't like cutaways either - what note is there above the 12th fret that you can't play below it?

I do not really have much of an opinion as what you should go for but I gotta agree on giving some serious thought to a maple body guitar though. It is probaly because I own two of them so am a bit biased.

Archived