Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo Gibson?

Gibson Artist

So i was browsing around craigslist and ebay for old guitars today, i dont know why it's just an affinity i have for those old clunkers. Don't necessarily think they give that big of a tonal difference but perhaps my ear isnt trained just yet so its more of a love of things from the past.

Then i came across this little gem, http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Electric-Guitar-Kalamazoo-Gibson-Custom-Color-/190450323421?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c57b94fdd

It says Gibson Kalamazoo? Nowhere on the headstock do i see the Gibson Logo but when i searched wikipedia i found they were made from about 65 to the early 70s. Was wondering if anyone has info other than just what is on wiki about the Kalamazoo brand?

I know that other guitar companies have done this where they make a budget guitar under a different name like guild had one called madeira i believe and im sure some others have as well.

Just curious, does anyone here own a Kalamazoo or Gibson product that doesnt actually say Gibson on it as well?

Yeah its real, a forum member owns one.

You should pick one up,i bet it sounds sweet.

Mabye you will get luckt and he will see it!

It looks like a Fender Mustang doesnt it? Im quite tempted by this little axe to take the chance. The problem is it is an Ebay deal and he put "as is" meaning anything under the sun could be wrong with it.

Im very tempted tho lol..

I've played one and they feel like a Fender, which is why I don't like them very much...

I like it because it's unique, kind of like the Epiphone Stratocaster. A friend of mine has one and i laughed my butt off when i saw it thinking it was fake but sure enough it was real. I wonder if Fender ever tried to make a Fender les paul? That would be hilarious.

As for what feels good i guess to each his own but it is a Gibson product and ive never owned a Gibson, just epiphones so it would be a nice, cheap way for me to get one with a little classic tone to boot.

The only other guitars i really want atm are an Epi 56 goldtop and maybe a different coloured Sheraton 2. (i own 2 natural finish hollowbodays)

I like it because it's unique, kind of like the Epiphone Stratocaster. A friend of mine has one and i laughed my butt off when i saw it thinking it was fake but sure enough it was real. I wonder if Fender ever tried to make a Fender les paul? That would be hilarious.

As for what feels good i guess to each his own but it is a Gibson product and ive never owned a Gibson, just epiphones so it would be a nice, cheap way for me to get one with a little classic tone to boot.

The only other guitars i really want atm are an Epi 56 goldtop and maybe a different coloured Sheraton 2. (i own 2 natural finish hollowbodays)

I'll be very surprised if that guitar stays at $250.... I've seen beat up ones go for $500

The Kalamazoo guitars were made by Gibson as a cheap entry guitar so remember they were made by Gibson but they are not in any way like a real Gibson guitar. The components were very cheap entry level stuff and the body is MDF basically "plywood" so condition is everything as it was pretty easy to damage them. The components were similar to all the other cheaper entry level electric guitars made back then, not really horrible but nothing special either.

They are a fun little guitar and a neat piece of history from that time period, but they are just that. There sure not a great unfound Gibson line that your lucky to find.

A more famous and better Gibson rebadge or rename were the Orville guitars made for the japanese market and controlled by Gibson, Unlike the Kalamazoo line the Orville line was pretty well made.

Archived