Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone know what this thing is?

RASHARU

I don't know my Gibson lap steels but it's probably an EH-100 or EH-125 or EH-150.... how's that for narrowing it down??

Seriously though, it's an EH something, probably from the 30s or 40s. They made others in the 50s and 60s, many blonde and prefixed BR (BR-6,BR-9).

Like I said, I don't know my Gibson steels much.

Good site:

Lap steel page

My only (current) lap steel is a '48 Supro. I used to have a '53 Fender but man that was a letdown. I wish I still had it because of the cool early Fender aura and the 3 digit serial number but I think my favorites were a couple Harmonys I had in the 80s. Either would suck that Fender right up their tail pipes.

Supro:

sup2.jpg

That would be a 1940s Gibson EH-150 lap steel - the one he played at that charity gig just a little while back.

I love lap steels. Here is my favorite at the moment - a ca. 1950 Valco/Supro Oahu Tonemaster (with Magnatone M-2 amp). Looks like it has the same strings through pickup as on ksdaddy's which is one of the fiercest single coils I have ever heard.

Maggie002.jpg

Gilmour chose some really iteresting guitars for that gig (I have the DVD too). The Ovation he played was the one he used to record "Comfortably Numb" back in '79. It is strung in "Nashville" tuning. The Gretsch DuoJet has a wonderful tone, so different than what you are used to hearing from David with his Strat. The little antique Gibson lapsteel was a treat to see. Especially how David held it on his lap to play... he doesn't usually play this way. His usual lapsteel on tour is a Japanese "Jedsen" and in the studio he plays a Fender 1000 pedal steel (both six and eight string fretboards).

Archived