Gibson Brands Forums

My Epi LP & Marshall Class5

markerdown

So I got a chance to crank my new marshall class 5 amp with my epi LP w/seth lovers and a TS9 tube screamer.

Backed off the bass, had everything else set to about 3 o-clock on the amp and wailed away.

Holy ear bleed batman what a monster sound!!!!! Very loud for only 5 watts, and yeah that marshall crunch. I had to take it to the backyard patio, too loud for my den. I was just jammin on some power chord riffs and it was way cool. Some say it's only a 1 trick pony amp, but for me, it's 1 trick I likey [thumbup]

But, I found with an M1 crunchbox and an eq on my epi half stack, I can get very very close to the same sound

So I got a chance to crank my new marshall class 5 amp with my epi LP w/seth lovers and a TS9 tube screamer.

Can you provide a link to the Model you have?

I'd like to read the info on it, specs, price, dimensions...... [thumbup]

Backed off the bass, had everything else set to about 3 o-clock on the amp and wailed away.

Holy ear bleed batman what a monster sound!!!!! Very loud for only 5 watts, and yeah that marshall crunch. I had to take it to the backyard patio, too loud for my den. I was just jammin on some power chord riffs and it was way cool. Some say it's only a 1 trick pony amp, but for me, it's 1 trick I likey [thumbup]

But, I found with an M1 crunchbox and an eq on my epi half stack, I can get very very close to the same sound

Yes the Class 5 rocks! I bought one and was amazed with it. Made in England, its the real deal!

Can you provide a link to the Model you have?

I'd like to read the info on it, specs, price, dimensions...... [thumbup]

Hey animal,

I've been looking at the amp (a few Marshall amps in fact) and this one looks very interesting.

I just haven't been able to find it anywhere here to try it out.

Here's the direct link to info on the amp:

Marshall Class 5 Amp

Markerdown, when you set the amp at 7-9 does it keep up?

Do the valves take a while to warm up (I know they used to, but I haven't played on an amp in a decade)?

I'm just asking because you mentioned playing on 3 and if my experience is correct we didn't get the full Valve sound before we were way louder.

looks like an interesting amp. back in 94 I bought a Marshal valvestate combo 8080, at the time it was the closest thing to full on valve crunch at bedroom levels. It's my only amp now [thumbup] . it would be really cool to hear a comparison.

I just picked up my first Epiphone in about 6 years the past weekend and I also got a new Marshall Class 5 to go with it.

Been on a Telecaster/Esquire kick for a long time, but got the urge for something different. I must say, the quality of the new Epiphone LPs is pretty impressive, I had a few over the year snad had heard mixed things about the chinese made ones, but I am very happy with it and all the ones I played in the shop were nice.

bd.jpg

I just picked up my first Epiphone in about 6 years the past weekend and I also got a new Marshall Class 5 to go with it.

Been on a Telecaster/Esquire kick for a long time, but got the urge for something different. I must say, the quality of the new Epiphone LPs is pretty impressive, I had a few over the year snad had heard mixed things about the chinese made ones, but I am very happy with it and all the ones I played in the shop were nice.

bd.jpg

bones you got to scotch brite that finish.

cheers

Markerdown, when you set the amp at 7-9 does it keep up?

Do the valves take a while to warm up (I know they used to, but I haven't played on an amp in a decade)?

I'm just asking because you mentioned playing on 3 and if my experience is correct we didn't get the full Valve sound before we were way louder.

Thats 3 o'clock or 3/4 volume, treble, mid,and bass backed off. I let the amp warm up for about 15 min, don't know if I had too, we just did that in the old days when there was no stnby switch It's loud! It cleans up nicely when the guitar vol is rolled back.. but I just crank everything up to 11 :-)

bd.jpg

NICE!!! A white class 5 too.. thats pretty wild. I got mine in british racing green...welcome aboard!!!

Thats 3 o'clock or 3/4 volume, treble, mid,and bass backed off. I let the amp warm up for about 15 min, don't know if I had too, we just did that in the old days when there was no stnby switch It's loud! It cleans up nicely when the guitar vol is rolled back.. but I just crank everything up to 11 :-)

Thanks markerdown. Sounds like I'd like it [biggrin]

Stores in my area still don't have it and I'd really like to try it along with other Marshall amps but I'm not really having much luck there.

I guess I have to go by the reviews and youtube and the Marshall site itself.

Cheers and enjoy [thumbup]

Thanks markerdown. Sounds like I'd like it [biggrin]

Stores in my area still don't have it and I'd really like to try it along with other Marshall amps but I'm not really having much luck there.

I guess I have to go by the reviews and youtube and the Marshall site itself.

Cheers and enjoy [thumbup]

I read all the reviews I could find, watched utuber vids and was hesitant because of the rattle issues on the earlier versions I kept reading about.

Robert at dolphinstreet.com did a great review/demo that convinced me. Like I said earlier, an M1 crunchbox will get very very close to the marshall tone of the class 5. I use the M1 on on my epi valve jr half stack.

Did I need the class 5 to get that marshall tone....probably not... the M1 is that good...did I want a class 5?...., yeah, I'm a gear-a-holic

Just to clear things up, I set all the knobs to the 3 o'clock position and back off the bass to between 9-11 o'clock

Archived