Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall stack hmmmmmmmm

morty

Never buy an Amp without trying it, its like marrying a girl you never met before and only saw pics of her.

+1 dem00nmsp_thumbup.gif

All I can add to that is take YOUR own axe with you.

that's like marrying a girl you've NEVER met OR seen pictures of.msp_flapper.gif

The Valvestate has one 12AX7 in the pre-amp. Other than that its solid state.

I have a 50w Valvestate combo. Its not too bad sound wise, but comes no where

near what my Orange all tube sounds like. Get the best 100% tube amp that you can afford.

Get the best 100% tube amp that you can afford.

Ditto.

Problem with trying a Marshall out at ANY retail shop is volume.

Are you planning to play it at polite "bedroom" volume once you buy it?

If you're buying it to crank it, that's gonna be tough.

Guitar Center just before closing time maybe?

(Not that I would actually BUY anything from them, but I might pester them enough to let me shake the walls.)

BTW, I have an old JCM 800 full stack that I rarely ever turn on.

Fender combo amps work great for me.

[thumbup]

Morty, some folks here do not realize you are in the UK.

We call valves tubes in the US. same thing.

If you do not have the opportunity to try out amps then you are going to have to do a lot of reading and looking in youtube.com for sound samples and demos. Then you can buy online with a little more of an educated guess.

Last time I looked at a Valvestate (there's probably a new generation of Valvstates by now)they only had one 12AX7 (or ECC83 for us Euroweenies) in the preamp section, the rest is all solid state, meaning transistors. Hence the name Valvestate, it's a valve and solid state amp.

If I recall correctly, the valve in the preamp didnt really do anything worthwhile as a reason to add a valve in there other than as a sales pitch. I think it was just used for the input section of the amp and not in any of the "real" gainstages, meaning any distortion you get will be done with diodes. On the other hand, Marshall has used diodes to generate distortion in some of their "real" tube amps as well, so if that's the classic Marshall sound you're after then the Valvestate might do it!

The power amp section is solid state. This means you won't get the power amp tube distortion that plays a big part in many classic tones. Wether you need it or not, only you can answer that. If you're looking at a 100W valve stack, chances are you'll never hear the power amp clip into distortion anyway because unless you're playing arenas people will probably tell you to turn it down before it happens.

I played two first generation Valvestates quite a lot back in the day. I must say I hated both. I had the 100W head, and the stereo rack mounted power amp. They sounded ok when I played on my own, but it was impossible for me to cut through when I played with the band. It just got drowned out no matter what I did. Since I had the same problem with the rack mounted power amp no matter what I plugged into it (Boss preamp/multi effetcs, MESA/Boogie studio preamp and other things) as I did with the head I decided they just sucked balls, ditched them and bought all valve MESA/Boogie gear and never looked back.

They might have imporved the Valvstate technology since then, I just don't know. And some pros did use them (Chuck Shuldiner of Death among others) so maybe I was just unlucky or sucked at useing them. But if I were you, and I was going to spend some money on a stack, I'd get the real deal and go all valve/tubewhat ever you want to call it. The Valvestates were, and probably still are, cheap for a reason. But, again, they might work for you so trying them out might still be a good idea.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Archived