Gibson Brands Forums

Jet City Amps

albertjohn

Bought the Jet City JCA20H so that I would have something a bit lower wattage at home, while my louder performance rig lives over in our practice space.

If you dial the gain right, it's got a really mean crunch, even at low volumes. And if you crank everything completely, it's got a nice distortion for some of the heavier stuff I play. It plays well with pedals too, especially your standard OD. My TS9DX plays better with this amp than it does with my performance rig.

Gets reasonably loud through a 4x12, which is nice, and seems to be pretty good at cutting through even with a 2x12. Hope to take it over to the space, run it through a 4x12, and see how it holds up against the band later this week.

My only issue with the amp is that the cleans aren't ever completely clear except at low volume. Most of the time I rather like have just a little dirt in my clean channel, but the few times I don't it does bug me.

I suppose one other thing I wish I'd pay more attention to when I was buying it, when paired with a Marshall cab, this amp seems to be a bit too trebly at times. I don't have any other cabs at my disposal at the moment, so I haven't been able to suss out if this is a thing with the head or the cab. Thinking back to when I bough it, I remember the raven cab sounding nice and big behind it, so it might just be this pairing I have, but I'd play them through a bunch of cabs and be sure it's not too harsh for your style.

Nice little amp for the price though. Glad I bought it.

I picked up the JCA2112RC 20watt combo about a month ago. It's been sounding good. I push it with a Boss ME-25, just some OD and Compression.

It has a nice crunch, if you change the pre/post volume around you get a Marshall-type clean, just tweak with your guitar's volume knob, roll it back some.

It's not a super clean sound, but like a Marshall (which I'm used to).

It gets a cool 80's metal sound when set properly and focused with some OD & Compression.

It's constructed rather well too, not a bad kick around amp. If it ever got stolen, I'd get it again.

I picked up the JCA2112RC 20watt combo about a month ago. It's been sounding good.

Nice. I've been wondering how their combos are.

Since it is a combo I'm not sure if there's an easy way for you to answer this, but how does their speaker sound? The store I bought my head in was only stocking heads, and I haven't been able to find anywhere in Boston stocking the cabs they offer.

Considering just ordering a 1x12 to see...

- B

Interesting replies. Thanks for that and keep them coming. I'd use this as back line for some small gigs so would it be loud enough? I have considered a vox or line 6 digital amp but the Jet City looks like good value for an all tube amp. Guess I'll have to dust down the strat and go and try a few.

What alternatives would you guys suggest as a good allrounder small gigging combo? I'm never going to be in Marshall stack territory.

Cheers

Nice. I've been wondering how their combos are.

Since it is a combo I'm not sure if there's an easy way for you to answer this, but how does their speaker sound? The store I bought my head in was only stocking heads, and I haven't been able to find anywhere in Boston stocking the cabs they offer.

Considering just ordering a 1x12 to see...

- B

The speaker is an Eminence, they make quality speakers. It's "voiced specifically for Jet City" so I'm not sure what to compare it to.

It sounds good in the combo. I think it's the same speaker they use in all of their cabinets/combos so I bet it's just a version of an existing Eminence model.

Interesting replies. Thanks for that and keep them coming. I'd use this as back line for some small gigs so would it be loud enough? I have considered a vox or line 6 digital amp but the Jet City looks like good value for an all tube amp. Guess I'll have to dust down the strat and go and try a few.

What alternatives would you guys suggest as a good allrounder small gigging combo? I'm never going to be in Marshall stack territory.

Cheers

I use it to bring along when I jam with friends outside of my band so I don't have to haul around the heavy gear.

I've played with it in my friend's garage with the door open while he played drums and I didn't even have it up half way.

Im sure it would be loud enough to cut through in a small club gig, like a bar or pub. YMMV.

Archived