Gibson Brands Forums

Lesson Updates

G McBride

Just before Labor Day I told you I started taking lessons. I had one on the Monday before then none on the holiday. Lesson the week after Labor Day then off to a conference so no lesson that week. Finally on a steady schedule of a lesson every Monday after work.

My instructors goals for me are to move me from a rhythm guitar guy to someone that can do soloing also. I am learning a lot and enjoying the lessons. Not too bad for a 57 year old guitar plucker.

How are the rest of you that spoke up doing with your lessons?

Mine are going well too. I take hour lessons with half focused on the electric guitar and half focused on finger picking on my acoustic and theroy.

i can't finger pick anymore, ever since i broke my finger (next to pinky) on my right hand 9 yrs ago [crying], i never went hospital and my finger (bone) healed in a certan position and only bends a little way :-({|=

He has me doing scales but we are discussing chord patterns involved in the lead licks also. I guess He has me doing scales more than anything.

I am reading Tabs now also. Never learned before because I read music. The guy teaching me seems to be able to play anything. I have a friend that is taking acoustic finger picking lessons from him and I am focussing just on Electric now.

Yes you can teach an old dog a new trick or two.

Archived