Gibson Brands Forums

ahhhhh Crap! amp issues

Josh James

So I got my Fender Champ 2 yesterday and put in some new output tubes. It was rocking and rolling until it started to pop and then the indicator light went out and it pooped! I hope it isn't something expensive, I know it is a "vintage" amp or at least a older one. Being a musician cost a lot of dough...sheesh

J

Actually they were a fresh set the dude that sold the amp threw in for free. I don't know, the light isn't even coming on so I'm not sure that has anything to do with the tubes? I don't know, I'm going to take it to Tulsa Guitar And Electronics tomorrow, they are a authorized Fender repair shop.

J

also you just can't put tubes in a amp; they have to be re-bias the amp before you start playing because its not used to those tubes and while it will work if not set up properly the amp will stop working. Hopefully you burnt a tube and not the amp. You really should get professional advice before you do stuff like this.

I'm going with guitarest here,

pro set up new tubes and fuses.

otherwise you wind up chasing parts, I went through this when I got the Bassman, 135 from it's previous owner.

And unless you know electronics,

1.trouble shooting will drive you insane

2:you could potentially blow off a finger or DIE if you go poking around inside.

(I can't stress the death part enough, take it to a tech.)

I'm pretty sure the amp is cathode biased so no need to adjust. Just make sure they are the correct tubes.

It sounds like perhaps one of the tubes were not seated properly and then it may have also caused an arc and blew the fuse. if so, then hopefuly you didn't char the sockets.

Archived