Gibson Brands Forums

A Lawsuit Les Paul?

bluesguitar65

They are called Les Paul copies? Where have you been?

This stuff has been around since the late 60's. [blink]

Washburn makes some awesome guitars, i saw a sweet 80's les paul washburn that looked exactly like a Gibson and the guy sweared it played better then his gibby.

They are called Les Paul copies? Where have you been?

This stuff has been around since the late 60's. [blink]

Washburn makes some awesome guitars, i saw a sweet 80's les paul washburn that looked exactly like a Gibson and the guy sweared it played better then his gibby.

I recall Ibanez being sued by Gibson for making an exact Les Paul Copy back in the 70s. Gibson won and Ibanez stopped making the les paul copies.

Here is one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-LES-PAUL-LP-LEFTY-1974-75-TRUE-LAWSUIT-GUITAR-/150505194070?pt=Guitar&hash=item230acf0256#ht_500wt_1156

LGS has an Ibanez "Les Paul" from the 1970s (made during the lawsuit).. Quality looked excellent, very nice guitar too.

They also had an original Flying V in Korina.. wow...

The also had a Gibson Les Paul in which you could swap out the pickups via the rear (set of 6 pickups came with it). Was meant as a testing guitar for dealers... not a very pretty guitar, but the concept was tempting...

I used to have one also, black and it was a great guitar. Sadly I have no idea what I did with it... The after effects of the lawsuit is what forced Ibanez to actually come up with some of their own guitars like the Iceman. What is not known or maybe not remembered is that Ibanez was also doing great copies of Fender; although they did not get sued by Fender. Only Gibson and its because it was during the pancake years at Gibson and their quality had fallen drastically so Gibson had to do something. Oh those Pancake years...

I've read it was only the 'moustache' top edge of the headstock that was causing all the Gibson anger. Also read that as a result of the quality Ibanez, Tokai Paul copies, Gibson pulled up their drawers and started back on the road to making better guitars. The Ibanez Korina V was a fabulous guitar and they go for a very good buck these days (hard to find too!).

I've seen a couple great copies- tokia love rocks and an edwards lp. Even this washburn looks sweet. One thing I notice even on epi's is they have some great finishes as far as colors go. Something I think the gibby custom shop does great and the gibby usa's don't look as great. Not knocking gibby but for instance look at this washburn and then look at a usa tobacco burst. The washburn looks fantastic!! I know I'm sounding wrong in my decriptions. Hard to explain.

• 5 months later...

I think a lot of the copies has more to do with trying to get buyers for them. Epiphone offer nice finishes at more of an everyday Joe's price. Gibson sells more of them by far however I much rather have an ok looking guitar with a great sound than anything else. Not saying Gibson don't have nice finishes but I think they actual work should go in to the construction of an instrument rather than cosmetics. Ok so what my Traditional sounds great and looks great...sue me lmao

I think a lot of the copies has more to do with trying to get buyers for them. Epiphone offer nice finishes at more of an everyday Joe's price. Gibson sells more of them by far however I much rather have an ok looking guitar with a great sound than anything else. Not saying Gibson don't have nice finishes but I think they actual work should go in to the construction of an instrument rather than cosmetics. Ok so what my Traditional sounds great and looks great...sue me lmao

Not disagreeing with this sentiment, but I htink when a lot of folks buy a honest to goodness Gibson, the philosophy may be along the lines of "who says I have have to pick one or the other (looks or sound)? I should be able to get both when I buy top of the line."

Archived