Gibson Brands Forums

10 Top PRS Price Error in MF's Catalog?

rocketman

So I get the MF Oct. 2010 catalog today and I found something interesting. On page 69 they are advertising a "25th Anniversary Custom 24 Figured Maple Standard Neck" for $2808.00. On their website they show it for the same exact price (see here).

What is interesting is in the catalog it states that the guitar comes with "a gorgeous, figured curly maple 10 top" while on the website it states that the guitar comes with a "figured maple-top standard." For those who want to relate this to a Gibson, a PRS figured maple-top standard would be a AA Gibson top and a PRS 10 top would be a AAA Gibson top. Now on MF's website the 10 top is going for $3,253.00 (see here).

Obviously they made an error in the catalog. But I wonder if one can hold them to their description in the catalog and get a 10 top for $2808.00? Any lawyers out there???

Well certainly if MF was a music store you could walk into and purchase that PRS guitar for that accidental discounted price. There would be nothing MF could do.

I guess you could try and do the on-line order thing and see what happens [confused] .... But they (MF) could always tell you after taking your money, then catching the mistake by stating the guitar is out of stock.... thus giving you a refund.

IMO I feel people are crazy to pay $2800 for any guitar without playing it first [confused]

Well certainly if MF was a music store you could walk into and purchase that PRS guitar for that accidental discounted price. There would be nothing MF could do.

I guess you could try and do the on-line order thing and see what happens [confused] .... But they (MF) could always tell you after taking your money, then catching the mistake by stating the guitar is out of stock.... thus giving you a refund.

IMO I feel people are crazy to pay $2800 for any guitar without playing it first [confused]

Agreed.

Hey did you see the Lil O Night Train Head and Cabinet package? I hope that price is not an error

I stopped into a Sam ASh yesterday and they had not heard of it.

I'm not a lawyer, but I was once in a similar situation: There was a guitar at Private Reserve Guitars, and the price was the same as it was at MF (It's the same company). The next time I looked it was A LOT less at Private Reserve, but still the same at MF. A few hours later the price at PRG was back up to what it was before.

So I called PRG, told them I wanted the guitar, and they quoted me the higher price. I said that it had been much less a few hours ago and told them I had a screen shot of the lower price. The guy immediately gave me that price.

Of course this was about 2 or 3 years ago when the dealers were a little more flexible. I have heard that the pricing policy has changed with regard to how much they are willing to discount now...

In the past, there have been a few such pricing errors I was aware of in the computer market - computers, monitors, etc. The companies tried to get out legally, but were ordered to make good on the advertised prices - as long as the orders were made with the pricing error. After a correction is made, subsequent orders had no right to the pricing errors. I caught one such "error" deal on a monitor a couple years ago. Unfortunately for me, I've never caught such a deal on a musical instrument.

It's their error and they should honour it if that catalogue is the current catalogue. You have it in writing and that's what matters at the end of the day. On the flip side, buy that 10 top guitar from any non-MF/GC store and you should get it for the same price...or less. By the way, if you're considering getting another PRS have you considered one with a rosewood neck. They're awesome!!

Archived