Gibson Brands Forums

Bach to Basics

Versatile

A good bass line can really make the song. Sometimes though, the best bass lines aren't really noticed unless you concentrate specifically on that part of the music. They are usually the unsung hero of the band.

One of my favorite albums for great bass lines is Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but the bass lines are so prominent on that album, and they're almost like a separate song being played behind the main song, but they blend-in and fit perfectly.

A good bass line can really make the song. Sometimes though, the best bass lines aren't really noticed unless you concentrate specifically on that part of the music. They are usually the unsung hero of the band.

One of my favorite albums for great bass lines is Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but the bass lines are so prominent on that album, and they're almost like a separate song being played behind the main song, but they blend-in and fit perfectly.

I agree....a lot of good music is a blend of musicians all working equally.

:-({|=

I always thought Paul McCartney was the best. Certainly there were better, faster players, but Mac always had The Touch. His lines were supremely melodic.

Yeah, McCartney's lines are incredible. They're all great, but my personal favorite is Abbey Road. "Something" and "She's So Heavy" really stand out IMO.

We might even veer towards thinking the bass is one of the most important band members...linking the rhythm with the melody....

And yes I agree...Paul McCartney, being multi-instrumental, has created some of the best basslines in modern music.

:-({|=

I think a good bass player can really help a band. So many great bass players out there, it's not funny....One that stands out to me is Robert Trujillo from Metallica. His earlier stuff even before Metallica is so amazing, very well rounded musician too.

http://www.carolkaye.com/

Carol was one of the core group of anonymous studio musicians who lent her unique styles of studio Guitar and Electric Bass playing to many of the hits recorded by such popular artists like the Beach Boys, Ray Charles, TheRighteous Bros., Johnny Mathis, Nancy Sinatra, Sam Cooke, Glen Campbell, Lou Rawls, Jan & Dean, Henry Mancini, The Lettermen, Paul Revere & Raiders, Monkees, Buckinghams, April & Nino,Sonny & Cher, Chris Montez, Andy Williams, Quincy Jones, Joe Cocker, Ike &Tina Turner, Mel Torme, Bobby Darin, Frank Zappa, Wayne Newton, Herb Alpert, O.C. Smith, Don Ho, Al Martino, and a few Motown (LA)

Etc., etc., etc., etc.....

m

http://www.carolkaye.com/

Carol was one of the core group of anonymous studio musicians who lent her unique styles of studio Guitar and Electric Bass playing to many of the hits recorded by such popular artists like the Beach Boys, Ray Charles, TheRighteous Bros., Johnny Mathis, Nancy Sinatra, Sam Cooke, Glen Campbell, Lou Rawls, Jan & Dean, Henry Mancini, The Lettermen, Paul Revere & Raiders, Monkees, Buckinghams, April & Nino,Sonny & Cher, Chris Montez, Andy Williams, Quincy Jones, Joe Cocker, Ike &Tina Turner, Mel Torme, Bobby Darin, Frank Zappa, Wayne Newton, Herb Alpert, O.C. Smith, Don Ho, Al Martino, and a few Motown (LA)

Etc., etc., etc., etc.....

m

She played everything - just ask her!

Carol is a good example, though, of a studio musician who generally gets little credit for a lot of work. She was a Guitar Player mag columnist for years, too - and nobody questioned her competence or experience.

There are a lotta studio folk who get very little credit for a lot of work that has given us a lot of music of all styles, whether in the control room or among musicians.

We here tend to forget just how much music goes just for television and movies, not to mention commercials of various sorts. The musicians who create that music sometimes have to blow their own horns or nobody else will.

OTOH... Milt Hinton was pretty well known and played a major role in making "bass" a playing concept we still use in almost any style of combo or bigger band. He also did voluminous studio work as well as work with dozens of groups. He may not have been made a knight but he had a goodly share of honorary doctorates recognizing his music. And... he was a top photographer as well.

Didn't do much in rock styles though.

m

Archived