Gibson Brands Forums

I can't make up my mind..

ninja_s3ngs

Hello Everybody,

New poster here.. I've been always wanting an SG for the life of my electric guitar playing (which isn't much long ago). The thing is I can't afford a Gibson, so I'm thinking of buying an Epiphone. I have decided to go for a G-400 limited edition '66 reissue. I have been going back and forth to the GC store for almost every week end for the past month.. I really have this indecision disorder where I get down to having 2 choices and can't give up either one.. I am having problems on choosing what finish I'd like. I'm torn between the Silverburst and the Heritage Cherry finish.. I think their both beautiful and I think each of them has cons.. I love the H. Cherry color ever since I wanted the SG, but the only thing is it's getting a bit common out there.. I like the silverburst because it is beautiful as well and has a unique color.. I guess there are not a lot out there who has this color for a G-400.. the silverburst finish looks a really beautiful at a distance minimum of 4 feet for me.. but as I get real upclose with the finish, the transition from black to silver looks like it was printed from a computer printer..I don't know how to say it but it feels like I am seeing pixels on the transition..it looks as if the transition has been sprayed on clumsily too..I think it kinda turns me off when I see it.. I've been to 2 GC stores already and checked out their Silverburst displays to check if it may have been a faulty finish, but I think it looks all the same.. Are all -bursts like that? as if it did not have a smooth transition in color? I looked at the Epi Les Paul in silverburst that they had there too and it doesn't look the same as the silverburst G-400 too.. I think the colors were smoothly transitioned for the LP..

What do I choose now? Please help? Opinions on your color choice are greatly appreciated too.. thanks!

Well, color is a personal thing. I've never seen a guitar that silverburst looks good on (to me). They also seem to come up a lot on Craigslist, so I'll venture a guess and say that other folks get tired of them eventually too. I know there are other members here who love that finish, and as I said it's a personal thing, but it would be hard to give me one of those things for free unless I was gonna go home and strip it.

The Cherry finish on the other hand is classic, and I almost never get tired of looking at a nice wood grain under a good finish. I just has character. It will also be much easier to sell when you're ready to trade up to a Gibby.

Oh. and if you don't like gloss, there's a primer in the DIY section about how to dull it down to a nice satin.

Good luck, and post some pics when you get it...

Thank you for that sir. I agree with you in your opinion on the cherry color. I probably like the fact that I see the wood grain in the cherry red as well even though we can't know for sure if the wood is good or not. There is actually a satin finish available in the GC store near me as the salesman said so with the addition that it was a popular buy. I think I like the glossy ones better (I really like gloss lol), but it I may try making it into a satin finish someday.. [thumbup]

well you cant afford a gibson but for the price of a gibson you can buy 4 epis. id get em both problem solved. or you could get the one and add the lyre vibrola to it and still be way ahead. i have a epi sg ....one of the best guitars i ever played. i had one years ago it was wine colored. the cherry is big with acdc fans.

ya,Im not that much of an AC/DC fan, but if your goin with the

'66 you gotta have the vintage color, but if you don't wanna be afilliated with AC/DC,

get the silver, or buy a paul. [thumbup] But if it was electronics,

we could help you a little more, color is a very personal thing.

I was tied between a honey and vintage burst for a paul I was gonna get.

but the decision was made for me. [biggrin]

IMG_0253.jpg

If I were you, Id get the heritage because its a subtler color so you wont get tired of it.

Just a thought...

ya,Im not that much of an AC/DC fan, but if your goin with the

'66 you gotta have the vintage color, but if you don't wanna be afilliated with AC/DC,

get the silver, or buy a paul. [thumbup] But if it was electronics,

we could help you a little more, color is a very personal thing.

I was tied between a honey and vintage burst for a paul I was gonna get.

but the decision was made for me. [biggrin]

IMG_0253.jpg

If I were you, Id get the heritage because its a subtler color so you wont get tired of it.

Just a thought...

Nice Les Paul you got there.. If not for the weight of that thing that's the one I'm taking..

Man, I wish I could afford to get both colors then my problem could be solved. I won't risk selling my kidneys too though lol.. Okay now here's an update to my guitar-buying endeavor.. I tried the displays again today at my nearest GC store.. this time, I also fiddled with the G-400 to compare side by side if it has any difference with the 1966.. I noticed that the G-400 produced a cleaner 'clean' sound than the '66 that I played.. I like that cleaner sound of the G-400, and now I'm even asking myself if I should consider that guitar as well.. I asked the person who is helping me sort the things out why it was that way.. He said that it probably had something to do with the pickguards.. Is there a truth to that or did it sound that way because of the "guitars-are-made-and-can-sound-different-even-on-same-models" factor? Am I making the right judgment in choosing the guitar that produces a much cleaner sound? sorry for the many questions guys.. I'm really torn between those G-400..

One more thing too, since the '66 says it's limited edition, is it really a limited edition? Just considering that factor since I might sell it if I upgrade to a Gibby in the next few seasons..

Thanks in advance..

Nice Les Paul you got there.. If not for the weight of that thing that's the one I'm taking..

Man, I wish I could afford to get both colors then my problem could be solved. I won't risk selling my kidneys too though lol.. Okay now here's an update to my guitar-buying endeavor.. I tried the displays again today at my nearest GC store.. this time, I also fiddled with the G-400 to compare side by side if it has any difference with the 1966.. I noticed that the G-400 produced a cleaner 'clean' sound than the '66 that I played.. I like that cleaner sound of the G-400, and now I'm even asking myself if I should consider that guitar as well.. I asked the person who is helping me sort the things out why it was that way.. He said that it probably had something to do with the pickguards.. Is there a truth to that or did it sound that way because of the "guitars-are-made-and-can-sound-different-even-on-same-models" factor? Am I making the right judgment in choosing the guitar that produces a much cleaner sound? sorry for the many questions guys.. I'm really torn between those G-400..

One more thing too, since the '66 says it's limited edition, is it really a limited edition? Just considering that factor since I might sell it if I upgrade to a Gibby in the next few seasons..

Thanks in advance..

Its alright to have a bunch of questions. I did when I first got on here

and now with those out of the way,

I just hang around here for kicks and to help.

I think the sound has to do with the pickups just from a glance at the GC website,

the clean sound you are talking about could be the pickups. Alnico classics to alnico II's.

What neck feels better? and to lead you in the right direction of color, what bands do you like?

Its alright to have a bunch of questions. I did when I first got on here

and now with those out of the way,

I just hang around here for kicks and to help.

I think the sound has to do with the pickups just from a glance at the GC website,

the clean sound you are talking about could be the pickups. Alnico classics to alnico II's.

What neck feels better? and to lead you in the right direction of color, what bands do you like?

Thank you so much for helping.. With the neck thing, I think they feel about the same for me.. Or I guess I better feel it more carefully when I test them out again lol.. I heard that satin ones give you a faster play.. I like it shiny though lol..

As for bands, it mostly depends on what mood I have.. lol.. I kinda lean as an alternative to rock to near metal sound of bands.. but I might need a clean tone too since I might be playing for the church at times.. basically I might need the one who would produce a decent good range of sound..though I have my eyes on SG/G-400s lol.. I think I'm fine not basing my preference on the bands I listen to..lol..I don't kinda care if they affiliate me for the guitar that I use with some bands who made the guitar quite popular..it's the guitar I wanna play with and pick-up after all..though they might laugh at me if I try to play jazz with a G-400 lol.. whew I might be thinking too much but this is what's going on in my mind regarding this matter..

Pickguard preference: full or half?

Color: Silverburst or cherry?

Sound: more decent range among all g-400s?

Resell value: though it might stay with me for quite a time, or i may not even re-sell it so I'm not worried about that too much..

and the issue with the prices:

GC offered me these prices:

Regular price for 1966 G-400 Heritage Cherry: 349+tax

Price match plus 10% off for the 1966 G-400 Silverburst: 279+tax

Price Match for any color G-400 plus 10% off: 279+tax

So the 1966 edition and the regular g-400 have quite a difference in pick-ups after all?

Thanks again.

I have an ebony G400, It plays like a dream! Feels very comparable to the '65 and '69 Gibson SG Standards I've had. You can always change pickups and hardware if you're not happy with it, so I'd go for the one that plays and feels the best for you, and that you won't mind waking up and looking at every morning for a while! Sounds like looking for my next ex-girlfriend huh?

EpiphoneSG.jpg

I forgot to add there's also an available used one that looks mint and plays nice too.. its for 249 bucks.. I think it should be something to consider as well? [smile]

Well,

What color is it?

Now would be the time to tell the story on how I got that Paul. Went to GC to try out 2 guitars. A Dot and a paul. was set on paul, but then I wanted versatility and had this crazy thought that I could mod it to be like lifeson's 355. so... going back in forth between the guitars for about half an hour. finally decide I like the paul neck better. told the guy that was helping me that I like the paul but id get a plus top. he said well, there was a used + top that came in 2 days ago. he went and got it, i played half a song and knew this was the one. then I went through the hour process of trading in my special II and getting the standard, while all that was happening I said that it was wierd that a used paul neck and a new paul neck makes that much difference in the feel. he said that some used guitars are really good because theyhave been broken in and played. for a new plus top it would have cost me 450. I got the used one for 400, WITH a $50 warranty, and WITH a 90 case that it was purchased in.

Food for thought.

Now,

Next time you go to GC, play with the knobs, dont go all 10 and play with the amp. do different volumes and tones.

cleans and overdrives on the amp.

When playing the guitar feel how the neck feels, and see which sounds better.

You'll find your axe soon enough. [biggrin]

I probably went to GC 5 or 6 times before that one came in and I was set on it.

Well,

What color is it?

Now would be the time to tell the story on how I got that Paul................... I got the used one for 400, WITH a $50 warranty, and WITH a 90 case that it was purchased in.

SWEEET AXE! Beautiful top. I've had a few Gibson LP customs and absolutely LOVED them. How do you think the sound of your Epi is against a Gibby? I've been wanting to get another "Paul", but can't afford a Gibson for sure right now.

I know I'm getting off base, but check out this LP clone a friend of mine is building, the pics aren't high quality, but the wood he used is magnificent! And he's making bird's eye maple pickguard, TRC, and PU rings too. Select Brazilian Mohogany body and neck, hand cut, shaped and sanded, and flame maple top not a veneer. Said he's take $1200 for it without hardware (for me anyway).

Photo-0082.jpg

Photo-0086.jpg

Photo-0084.jpg

you know, i havnt gotten around to playing a gibby,

I have just had time to try guitars in my pricerange.

but from what I hear, it isnt a gibson,

but its a pretty good alternative.

I love mine. Im hopin to decide on some gibson pickups,

drop em in there with it hooked up with coil split and let it rip.

People say that the necks of an epiphone are really nice, some better than gibson.

just dont quote me on that.

thats a great looking guitar! has he decided on a color?

Actually it's natural, clear coated and ready for hardware, just as you see it. He makes some REALLY nice guitars for decent price. ALL hand cut, carved, shaped sanded and finished. Been trying to get him to put up a website, but I don't think he wants to deal with it as a business. Shame, because he's good at it!

For me, this is my personal preference, an SG should be Cherry Red. Unless its a Custom and then it should be Vintage White. I know that SGs come in an array of finishes but for me an SG is Cherry Red. Also, I prefer the small pickguard as opposed to the large one. As for your dilemma as to which guitar to buy, keep playing the various candidates. One will feel more "right". I always loved SGs. I can't justify the price of a Gibson (which I think are sadly over-priced). Mine is a Samick Artist Series G450. Samick made Epi's for many years.

oh sorry, I forgot to mention what color it was.. it was a heritage cherry one..

@ gearhead: lol that's an interesting way of showing your admiration.. but if ever I get one (hopefully soon) i'll probably act the same way!! [thumbup] and that what's really got me thinking hard..since I should be expecting myself looking, and more importantly feel good while playing it.. loving it!! nice axe..both of you are lucky to find each other! that LP clone your friend is making seems to be turning out beautifully.. can you update us with the finished product when it happens?

@ LedZep: inspiring story..i will put that to heart.. [biggrin].. the used one that I mentioned was actually there when I visited the store.. I was kind of thinking if it was fate that it might be the one.. it fits what I was looking for originally, '66 heritage cherry, excellent finish, few to no scratches even at the back of the guitar, and a tone that I like. I can say it's almost new except for some scratches in the pickguard.. I wanted to take it already, but I am a natural impulsive buyer, so I wanted to wait on myself to see if I was just being plain impulsive.. the other thing is that I tried to play it with the G-400.. that's when I noticed that the sound of the G-400 in clean seemed more nice than the '66.. so I had to wait off and come back to play it again..

The person that was helping you said some interesting thing too.. The guy who was helping me seemed like he was discouraging me from buying the used one.. I'm wondering why.. good intentions or bad?

I'll definitely try and be more sensitive to how it feels with those choices that I have.. the next time I drop by.. thanks!

@ johntrem: Cherry red seems a winner for me too.. I think the silverburst and the ebony looks good too.. I originally wanted cherry, but I think I'm having some infatuations with the silverburst..

i'm so excited to get my axe I feel like I can't wait for a day anymore..lol..

Looks like I'm visiting GC again sooner than I have planned. You guys have been big help.. please keep it coming! :D/

I was shopping for a typical Cherry red G-400 when I came across the one in the picture in my sig. It's a vintage faded brown, the model with the binding on the neck which isn't sold anymore, and when I first put my hands on it I knew that it was the one for me. I can't say how the stock pups sound because mine came with Seymour Duncans (which sound amazing!), but the feel of the neck is great and the action is perfect. But my preference for a standard with a glossy finish would be the Cherry over anything else. Next time I find a good deal on a used one I'll definitely be picking it up!

I prefer the half pickguard because it shows off more of the body of the guitar but I guess that's a personal preference. They are great guitars and I think that no matter which you choose, you'll be happy with it.

All right. let me get my facts straight just to see if Im missing anything.

You are looking at three guitars.

Regular price for 1966 G-400 Heritage Cherry: 349+tax

Price match plus 10% off for the 1966 G-400 Silverburst: 279+tax

Price Match for any color G-400 plus 10% off: 279+tax

Used '66 heritage cherry: 249

So,

I think why he might have been steering you away from the used one is that its only $30 more with the manufactioners warranty on it.

A selling point for me was the price. $406 to $550 for a new one. youd be paying more for the used one if you were to get the GC warranty. So unless you REALLY like the feel and sound, itd be better buying it new and breaking it in. But from what I understand, you like the cleans of the G-400, you like the color, (heritage cherry), you said you didnt like the silverburst because it was too pixely. What one forum member said is the 1/2 pickgaurd shows off more of the finish. Which is a plus if you are getting the Heritage Cherry. Show off that wood grain. you like the sound of the G-400, and you say there isnt a significant difference bettween the feel of the necks. So it sounds like the G-400 is in the lead.

My Diagnosis So Far:

From what ive comprehended is that you like the G-400 in heritage cherry. Focus on this guitar next time and see how much versatility you can get out of it.

Disclaimer

this is your guitar choice. in the end no one can tell you what to get. [thumbup]

GOOD LUCK!!! [smile]

Take a friend with you who is an older, more experienced player for an objective opinion.

Go back to the store and play them with your eyes closed.

Try all the pickup combinations and play it through an amp that is as close as possible to the amp you own. If you own a Line6 or a Behringer amp and you try out the guitars through an Engl you are really not getting an true idea of how your guitar will sound through your rig.

If they will let you, bring your amp with you and use it.

Looks are important but if you are going to make a long term commitment to a guitar, you have to be able to live with her. [tongue]

Archived