Gibson Brands Forums

Change tuners on my 335.

Sancho Panza

Hello!

I want to change the tuners on my Epiphone 335, cherry red. I found a pair of nice tuners on Thomann (Gibson PMMH-10 Tuners). Does anyone know if i can switch tuners just like that or do you have to drill in the headstock? I want that vintage look, ca 60's. Are those the right tuners? I have seen alot on tuners in gold, but i really don't like that colour so i was thinking about some other colours.

Thanks in advance for any answer,

Mike

Hello!

I want to change the tuners on my Epiphone 335, cherry red. I found a pair of nice tuners on Thomann (Gibson PMMH-10 Tuners). Does anyone know if i can switch tuners just like that or do you have to drill in the headstock? I want that vintage look, ca 60's. Are those the right tuners? I have seen alot on tuners in gold, but i really don't like that colour so i was thinking about some other colours.

Thanks in advance for any answer,

Mike

They may fit. Need to know their measurments however.

I'm curious as why you don't think the stock Grovers are nice. I have a 2007 Cherry Dot and I think the Grovers work great.

I have a 2007 Cherry Dot and I think the Grovers work great.

Depends, I made the experience that asian Grovers are wide spread in terms of quality. The ones on my '06 Broadway work great, the ones on the '07 Les Paul are OK, but the ones on the '10 Swingster were simply crap. All look just the same. Removed them from the Swingster immediately. Luckily I planned to change them for locking Grovers anyway, so it didn't bother me too much.

I just put the same set of tuners (Gibson Vintage) on my '96 Samick SG last week. It had a similar Asian manufactured set on it. I did not have to drill new screw holes in the back of the headstock , but I did have to enlarge the tuner holes in the headstock. I used a hand reamer, a $10 tool picked up at Sears Hardware. It was simple and not very invasive. The change made a TREMENDOUS difference in the guitar, not just in tuning stability, but in the volume and tone of the guitar. These tuners make more contact with the headstock, hence, more vibration into the headstock-neck-body. I was very pleasantly surprised. Sounds like a new guitar. I don't know if enlarging the tuner holes in the headstock will be necessary with your 335, but as I said, I was able to it successfully in a short time. If your 335 has the standard Grovers that come on currently produced Epi's you may have to re-drill.

I put the same ones you are looking at on mine, but Grover. I think Grover makes them for Gibson, but because they say Gibson they cost more. They dropped right in, I only had to drill 12 small holes for the screws on the back of the headstock. The tuners didn't quite cover the existing hole, about 10% still shows. The only reason I changed them was for aesthetics, the stock tuners were fine.

Dot-Tuners.jpg

This shows how much of the existing screw hole will show. Not really that big of a deal to me. This is on my G-400, but it's the same on my Dot. Kind of hard to see, but if you look close at the bottom of the lower right tuner you can see it.

SG002-1.jpg

Amazing! Thanks for all the answers! I went to my local musicshop, but they actually didn't know, so i have to trust you guys. I have seen some pictures of another tuner, i think:

40U-3494_tuner.jpg

It has two things, i don't know what they are called, haha, before, the main tuner, the "big" one. Is there any difference between them?

Thanks for any answer,

Mike

Amazing! Thanks for all the answers! I went to my local musicshop, but they actually didn't know, so i have to trust you guys. I have seen some pictures of another tuner, i think:

40U-3494_tuner.jpg

It has two things, i don't know what they are called, haha, before, the main tuner, the "big" one. Is there any difference between them?

Thanks for any answer,

Mike

Not really sure what you are asking, but the main difference between Gibson and Grover is the price. Gibson cost more because of the name. If you look at the pic of my Grover and your Gibson pic, they both say Deluxe. However, one says Gibson and the other says Grover.

Archived