Gibson Brands Forums

Graphtech TUSQ nut

Supersonic

I just put one of these on my new G400 Deluxe w/ maestro vibrato and let me just say that it was definitely worth it. The guitar sustains better and I swear it sounds more defined and more "punchy" (for lack of a better word). Plus it was a pretty fun little Saturday project. All you need is an exacto knife, some sandpaper, and a little patience. Really easy and affordable and a helluva lot better than the cheap plastic one that was on there before!

So, if anyone has been thinking about changing out their stock nut and haven't got around to it or thought it wouldn't make that big of a difference, Do it! And it does!

A few of my guitars have been given the Tusq treatment and benifited because of it, I'd reccommend them to anyone, cheap yet noticable upgrade that most people should be able to achieve without taking it to a tech.

The nut is the weakest part of an Epi guitar, (and a lot of other brands) - If Epi supplied all of their guitars with one of these nuts from the factory, it would be a great selling point, it's the mod that costs the least and gives the most measurable benefit.

I couldn't agree more!! Well stated!

The nut is the weakest part of an Epi guitar, (and a lot of other brands) - If Epi supplied all of their guitars with one of these nuts from the factory, it would be a great selling point, it's the mod that costs the least and gives the most measurable benefit.

The problem of doing this as I see it, is that plastic can be poured into a mold and made very cheaply.

Graphtech and Mycarta has to be hand shaped from the rectangular blank, causing more cost.

I believe the rectangular blank is simply cut from a block of the material.

The problem of doing this as I see it, is that plastic can be poured into a mold and made very cheaply.

Graphtech and Mycarta has to be hand shaped from the rectangular blank, causing more cost.

I believe the rectangular blank is simply cut from a block of the material.

This Tusq brand nut – item # PQ-6060-00 is and exact fit for an Epi LP, SG, DOT etc. they come pre-slotted and slightly oversized.

They need to be sanded slightly for width, the height is set by sanding the underside of the nut until the strings are at the right height relative to the frets.

The slots are perfectly cut and angled back, they work well for string in sizes 09’s, 10’s, 11’s – as easy to fit as a plastic nut and would considerably increase the appeal of the guitar to the customer for almost no investment…

Archived