Gibson Brands Forums

Amp kicked the bucket, looking for a new amp need some help

SoulKitchen

My orange amp pretty much kicked the bucket recently. But thats ok I need a new amp that fits my style better. Right now I use a American Fender Stratocaster Humbucker but, pretty soon ill have a Gibson Cherry SG Standard [cool]. So the music I play is pretty much just The Doors, some Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. With the style music i like to play which amp would be the best choice Fender Twin Reverb or Marshall 1959slp?

Thanks,

Dylan

Mrs. Neo won't have stuff falling off the pot shelves in the adjoining kitchen, or every picture in the house hanging crooked.

And I did okay on the money.

Buddy of mine is doing a recording project, his only remaining 800 smoked an output transformer.

He tried a Vintage Modern head that he's had for a couple years, it didn't match what they had already recorded.

Couple other borrowed heads - no luck.

Called me, since he knows the history on the head and he's played it numerous times.

I said no initially, but offered to let him borrow it.

He's funny that way - what if something happened?

Really preferred to just buy it so he could give 'er hell in the studio with no reservations.

I never use it, what he hell . . .

I have first right of refusal if he decides to sell it after his project is finished and his old 800 is working right.

I really want a 2205 or maybe a 2210 that a friend in Texas has.

Probably buy a Mesa 5:50 Express if I drop large $$$$ on another head.

I should probly add that I like playing 60s-early 70s Psychedelic music, and never play any modern rock or metal. I know the Fender TR is alot cheaper! And they seem to sound really nice. Is it better to buy new or buy one from late 60s to early 70s in very good shape? And thanks for the replys everyone

Thanks,

Dylan

Twisted my wallet- er, arm . . .

Actually, I tried to persuade him to just borrow it.

He just kept saying "Look, I can put tubes in it when I'm done but what if something big happens to it?"

I told him that was a risk I was willing to accept, but he wouldn't go for it.

I told him if the transformer fails like his did, then it was time for it to go.

It would have to be replaced if it was at my house or his studio.

Told him to drive the sh!t out of it (he does . . .) and if something breaks, fix it.

I figure I would have an even more seasoned, proven head to be proud of - it's done a lot of gigs over the years.

Nope.

Price didn't change much really.

I've known the guy for years and he's helped me more with guitars than everybody else combined.

I figure I owe him one.

In fact, he's the guy who found this head for me originally and set up the deal.

He gave me a fair price without blinking, and it's still sorta in the family.

I can go visit it at gigs.

He laughed, and told me I would get a big Thankee in the liner notes of the new album.

[flapper]

My orange amp pretty much kicked the bucket recently. But thats ok I need a new amp that fits my style better. Right now I use a American Fender Stratocaster Humbucker but, pretty soon ill have a Gibson Cherry SG Standard [cool]. So the music I play is pretty much just The Doors, some Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. With the style music i like to play which amp would be the best choice Fender Twin Reverb or Marshall 1959slp?

Thanks,

Dylan

well, Robby played twin reverbs, mostly. Pink floyd, was hiwatts, and zeppelin live was marshalls, some fenders in the studio,........If it were me, and wanted my core tone to be the doors and pink floyd, I'd do the twin reverb with appropriate pedals, you'll need some fuzz for the doors, and some chorus/delays, etc. for the floyd. The twin reverb really handles any pedal really really well. It is a great clean platform for effects.

If I wanted some natural tube overdrive, and wanted some heavier tones, I'd go with the SLP. They have good headroom, too, and should handle the pedals well, although, I've never played one extensively enough to know..

As far as new vs. old.......I think the reissue fender twin reverbs are the way to go over the older ones. They really sound good, and fender seems to have re-invented those amps well. With the marshalls, the reissues are good too, but many say not as good as the old ones....metroamps make clones that get better reviews than the marshall reissues. An original SLP, will run you some dough though, especially if it is a true plexi.

I have to agree with Damian here. Get an Egnater Tweaker! They also have some bigger amps, but I was dissatisfied with my SG, or so I thought so I went to GC to listen to it next to a couple of their stock SG and SG '61 guitars. I plugged into the closest amp that they had, which was an Egnater Tweaker combo. Well, an hour later after running through every Rolling Stones/ZZ Top/Beatles/Van Morrison lick that I knew, I bought the amp! My guitar sounded better than any guitar that they had through that amp and it was a blast to play. Isn't that why we all do it, to have fun? It has a lot of little features that allow you to tailor your sound to your liking but no memory banks or bullshit. 3 basic amp setting, AC, Brit, American. All sound great. I've owned everything almost. Forget the big-*** amps. You can't gig with those anyway without killing every mammal in 10 square miles.

So does this mane you're selling the Deville?

Nope.

It's still in the guitar room with the cover on it - property of the boy if he ever decides to claim it.

I gotta get my old Quad Reverb back together and see what it'll do to the pictures on the wall . . .

[rolleyes]

Archived