Gibson Brands Forums

les paul thru vox?

renin74

• 12 years later...
18 hours ago, Mediocre man said:

I heard the Beatles used a j160 through a vox ac15. Do y'all think if I used a j45, would it sound ant good?

I put my acoustic  (which has a bridge saddle piezo pickup) into my valve amps.  I haven't put it through my old AC10 yet;  it sounds fine through my Fenders which are 70s-early 80s. 

Put it this way - I'm happy with the sound and at least one other musician has commented on how good it sounds; and this is a piezo straight into a valve amp.  

Around a decade ago I did buy buy a Fender Acoustasonic amp - think it was a 30, sort of wedge shaped - and got rid of it quickly as it was awful IMO.   

Many acoustic players use some sort of pre-amp to deal with the piezo sound, then into a transistor power amp.  I don't know what pickup you are using but it should sound ok through a Vox.   Lennon's J160 had a single-coil pickup between neck and soundhole, which is very unusual for an acoustic these days.  So it was that combination that got the sound.

A modern AC15 is very different from a vintage one. You can shape the tone much more and have reverb and tremolo too.  It might distort slightly if you want to play loud (which you obviously do) unless you keep the channel vol low and use the master to control your volume.  Won't sound bad at all.

Acoustic guitar piezo pickups can sound brittle and a bit too glassy, so you might have to back off the treble a bit.   A bit of valve warmth helps IMO.

Best wishes!

Edited by jdgm

The Beatles used several different Vox Amps over their early Period.. They played AC30's frequently in the Studio & Live. I haven't heard of them using AC15's although I'm sure they could have.. They would've been too small for their Venues for live..  I haven't read of them using them in the Studio either.. Although it could've been possible at some point.

I have a Gibson J-160E & a Vox AC15 with Alnico Blue. It is a great combination of Sound! It sounds great with my Martin D-35 & Martin D-12-16GTE 12 String also... As well as with just about any Electric Guitar you plug into it...

Edited by Larsongs