Gibson Brands Forums

cutting and reconnecting pickup wire?

Darrell999

On Musician's Friend, a couple reviewers say that if you cut the middle pickup wire of the P93 Riviera, it will substantially brighten the tone. I'm intrigued, but I'm not sure if I would regret that or not. These are P90 dog-ear pickups.

So my (probably stupid) question: if I cut the wire of the middle pickup, is it easy just to simply solder it back together if I decide that I liked it better the other way? Or would there be a lot more to it in order to reconnect the wire?

Are they saying to cut an individual conductor or the whole wire?

It would be better if you could desolder it from the pots so you could resolder it later with no cuts to repair....

the whole wire--and since this is a semi-hollow, it would be a lot easier to cut the wire than to take everything out of the f-holes...

Are they saying to cut an individual conductor or the whole wire?

It would be better if you could desolder it from the pots so you could resolder it later with no cuts to repair....

+10

Welcome Darrell999, this is great place to hang out and discuss anything guitar, hope you like it.

On Musician's Friend, a couple reviewers say that if you cut the middle pickup wire of the P93 Riviera, it will substantially brighten the tone.

Darrell.

Welcome to the forum.

Couldn't say for sure but, anything I read by "reviewers" I take with a grain of salt. (A Large Grain!)

MortonRockSalt.jpg

As far as the wire goes, I have to go with the rest. It is preferable to desolder than to cut.

Which wire are you talking about here. The entire lead coming off the pickup? If so, I have a set of Epi P90s in my avatar at the left.(All be it, they are soapbar) Inside the pickup wire are three wires. North, South and ground.

I guess I'm just missing something here. Where exactly are you planning on cutting this wire at?

(in my basement is not an acceptable answer)

Willy

Which wire are you talking about here. The entire lead coming off the pickup? If so, I have a set of Epi P90s in my avatar at the left.(All be it, they are soapbar) Inside the pickup wire are three wires. North, South and ground.

I guess I'm just missing something here. Where exactly are you planning on cutting this wire at?

(in my basement is not an acceptable answer)

As far as I remember (it's been awhile since I last took a peek under the pickup), I think there's just one wire coming from the pickup. I was thinking of cutting the wire about 4 inches or so from the pickup. And yeah, in my basement! :lol:

if you do cut the wire and dont like the sound. how are you going to repair the wire? i dont think your going to be able to repair it through the f hole

I figured if I need to put the wire back together, I would resolder the hot wire and the ground sheath separately about 3-4 inches from the pickup. I *think* that might work, but never did it before. That's why I figured I should ask you guys what you thought.

Archived