Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Melody Maker?

Gibson Artist

I recently saw a model of melody maker called the les paul melody maker from around 2003, was wondering are these specs correct?

Mahogany body, spanish cedar neck, white button Gibson deluxe tuners, p90 pickup, chrome tune-o-matic bridge, chrome stop tail piece, one volume, one tone, top mounted input jack.

Was wondering is this some sort of hybrid between a les paul and melody maker? Anyone on here actually tried one of these? im told they are very rare and saw one for sale in a store and the guy told me the history of it and ive got some questions.

1. How often does Gibson use cedar necks?

2. What is a tune 0 matic bridge? Why do people seem favor it so much?

3. How would you say a guitar like this varies in sound from the normal melody maker?

Any info appreciated.

I recently saw a model of melody maker called the les paul melody maker from around 2003, was wondering are these specs correct?

Mahogany body, spanish cedar neck, white button Gibson deluxe tuners, p90 pickup, chrome tune-o-matic bridge, chrome stop tail piece, one volume, one tone, top mounted input jack.

Was wondering is this some sort of hybrid between a les paul and melody maker? Anyone on here actually tried one of these? im told they are very rare and saw one for sale in a store and the guy told me the history of it and ive got some questions.

1. How often does Gibson use cedar necks?

2. What is a tune 0 matic bridge? Why do people seem favor it so much?

3. How would you say a guitar like this varies in sound from the normal melody maker?

Any info appreciated.

That model is highly sought after. Because of the tune-o-matic vs. wrap around, plus a P90. Throw a LP Jr pick guard on it and it is a very attractive light weight setup. I think that was the perfect low end Gibson (too perfect). It might have cut into the higher end market, like the junior?

The tune-o-matic can have the intonation set vs. the wrap around bridge that can't. The P90 is a classic single coil pick up vs. a standard MM pickup. Both are significant upgrades. The cedar neck is something I wasn't aware of, and really know nothing about.

Some pictures of wrap around and tune-o-matic

http://images.gibson.com/Files/3e13ef92-f674-4fe6-b1e1-97f5585ddfcd.jpg

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/True%20Pitch%20and%20Solid%20Tone_%20Gib/

That model is highly sought after. Because of the tune-o-matic vs. wrap around, plus a P90. Throw a LP Jr pick guard on it and it is a very attractive light weight setup. I think that was the perfect low end Gibson (too perfect). It might have cut into the higher end market?

"too perfect" So in other words, you dont expect them to re introduce this model anytime soon? I know these special models are often limited runs and sometimes they come back a decade later, sometimes never but if what you say is true it may not. I guess it's a testament to the quality of the guitar if they felt it was really cutting into the higher end.

The only famous person i know who plays a mm is Joan Jett, is there anyone else? (tho i do enjoy her music as its punk in roots)

"too perfect" So in other words, you dont expect them to re introduce this model anytime soon? I know these special models are often limited runs and sometimes they come back a decade later, sometimes never but if what you say is true it may not. I guess it's a testament to the quality of the guitar if they felt it was really cutting into the higher end.

The only famous person i know who plays a mm is Joan Jett, is there anyone else? (tho i do enjoy her music as its punk in roots)

It's just my opinion. But, a Junior cost over $800 (today anyway) and it doesn't have a tune-o-matic. Although a junior has more mass they look almost identical with the same pick guard on them. The head stock however looks much different. I just think it was a viable cheaper option when it came time to lay out the cash.

It's just my opinion. But, a Junior cost over $800 (today anyway) and it doesn't have a tune-o-matic. Although a junior has more mass they look almost identical with the same pick guard on them. The head stock however looks much different. I just think it was a viable cheaper option when it came time to lay out the cash.

So the guitar was supposed to be like a lp junior? humm, never tried one of those. Doesnt the singer of Green Day play a lp junior? I'll have to try it out one of these days, already tried a Gibson Traditional LP and it sounded incredible, the junior has to be pretty different tho, im guessing less bass and probably alot lighter too.

IMO we have a situation here

Melody Maker is a single bridge S/C

LP Junior is a single bridge H/B or P90

Both minimalist guitars....great fun....great sounds [biggrin]

:-({|=

This model Melody maker is not how you described it. That might be the situation you speak of.

P-90 is an animal all its own - I love 'em!

Look at vintage guitars too, the prices on originals can be pretty reasonable on the low-end Gibsons.

Beware the usual "gotcha" stuff like headstock breaks.

Electronics can be fixed with minimal effort or expense.

IMO we have a situation here

Melody Maker is a single bridge S/C

There was a single cut (like an LP), then a double cut, then in the late 60s they went to a SG body style. Since the 70s it's been revived now and then, usually in the LP form - single and double cut.

BTW, my 65 MM has a factory maestro on it.

There was a single cut (like an LP), then a double cut, then in the late 60s they went to a SG body style. Since the 70s it's been revived now and then, usually in the LP form - single and double cut.

BTW, my 65 MM has a factory maestro on it.

Wow, i didnt know they made melody makers that looked like sg, talk about fooling people lol. Got any pictures of your melody maker?

The Melody maker comes with a 57 burstbucker, but it was too distorty for me, so I replaced it with 74 T-top Gibson humbucker, and a 72 single coil melody maker pup rewound by Curtis Novak.

The LPJ, I added a CC pup from Pete of vintagevibeguitars.

Wow, i didnt know they made melody makers that looked like sg, talk about fooling people lol. Got any pictures of your melody maker?

Sure - double cut, originally a single pup with maestro from the factory - heavily modded in '77 - still a great player with killer sound -

65MMfront4.jpg

65MMfront-1.jpg

Archived