Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about buying a Mac

mcmurray

I really only had two problems when I switched. A lot of the commands are different. I really don't like how the Home, End, Shift-Home and Shift-End buttons work on a Mac. Also, Cmd+Z,X,C and V are very hard for me because of the positioning of the Cmd key. There are ways to remap your keys to work more like you want, however I've found that some applications don't honor the changes.

The other thing that bothered me a lot was the mouse acceleration curve. It seemed like my mouse was either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough. I lived with it for quite a while, thinking I was just crazy. Then one day I got fed up and did a google search on the topic. Evidently it's a problem for a lot of people. So, if you find your mouse to be a little squirrelly, there are fixes for that.

Other than that, they are great machines. Just don't fall victim to the "I can do anything, go anywhere on my Mac because it is an impenetrable fortress" attitude. They are safer than PC's, but their day is coming.

I work with PCs at work, including web development, and I'm fine with them. But stuff happens, and nothing works without fiddling. The fiddling is a fair trade-off (usually) for more flexibility.

At home? Mac, and I'm never going back. When I get home, I just want to use the computer. No fiddling. You plug something in - boom - the Mac knows it's there and how to use it. And for whatever reason, those who developed the Apple software have anticipated my needs very well. I have no *desire* to change anything, and that's from a life-long habitual tweak-er of everything down to my pen cup and paperclip drawer.

I love my Mac. (Which has never yet crashed on me, or gotten a virus, which my work machines have done several times, despite good maintenance.) [thumbup]

It never ceases to amaze me bow, 4 years old, my Mac Mini goes from power-on to full functionality in about 30 seconds. Anyone care to hazard a guess how long it would take for a 4 year old PC to boot?

My 2004 Dell Dimension 8300 2.8Ghz starts up in about 30 second or so. It has more to do with how many programs are loaded on startup, hard drive speed, RAM speed and BUS speed than anything. The actual OS has very little to do with it. On the other hand, my HP Proliant 2.8Ghz Dual Processor Server takes about 5 minutes to boot. And thats running non-server XP on Raid-0. But it also has 5 SCSI HDDs, 2 SCSI control boards and a slew of checks and post screens that it navigates. If it was running Linux it would still take almost as long. Maybe shave a minute or so off the boot time on this particular computer. We have a G5 in the art department at work that is so loaded it takes way more than 30 seconds to boot up. Now, throw a couple of solid-state hard drives in that thing and it WILL start in under 30 seconds.

I'm not an OS-wars guy by any means. I think that each OS serves a particular purpose. Now, put an old G3 up against any PC of the same era and they both suck.

If all goes to plan, I should have a spanking new 13" Macbook pro in a few days.

Now, the last time I used a mac was about 1995 when the first powermac's were made, so this should be quite interesting indeed!

Who has made the change from PC to Mac? How did you find it? Would you go back to Windows after using OSX?

i think you should change your username to macmcmurray... [biggrin]

Archived