Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard for Epi

Jergin01

I am looking to replace my pickguard with one that is cream. Problem is, I can only find Gibson style ones with screws in them, Gibson probably wouldn't fit it anyway. Anyone know a place to get them? Without the hassle of a custom order?

Below is a pic of the current guard -

Pickups-jpg.aspx?width=275&height=200

I am looking to replace my pickguard with one that is cream. Problem is, I can only find Gibson style ones with screws in them, Gibson probably wouldn't fit it anyway. Anyone know a place to get them? Without the hassle of a custom order?

Below is a pic of the current guard -

Pickups-jpg.aspx?width=275&height=200

What is that, melody maker or a special?

I found a cream PG for my LP on Ebay. There is usually a lot of them for sale on there.

I paid more than I had wanted to pay, but it was brand new (still had the plastic on it) and it fit perfect.

Try Ebay.

What is that, melody maker or a special?

Its a GT. Basically a Special with a vintage-style trem and some purty trimmings. Finding a pickguard for it most likey wont be possible because 1.) they just came out this year, and 2.) its not a standard LP pickguard. Its glued to the body. It would be like trying to find a pickguard for a G-310. Good luck.

Its a GT. Basically a Special with a vintage-style trem and some purty trimmings. Finding a pickguard for it most likey wont be possible because 1.) they just came out this year, and 2.) its not a standard LP pickguard. Its glued to the body. It would be like trying to find a pickguard for a G-310. Good luck.

Yep, I should have looked at the pic more carefully. RTH is right. You won't find one of those on Ebay.

Yea, it is a GT. All of the ones I see on eBay are the real Gibson style ones that use the two screws and mounting bracket (and damn they look sweet). I found a few places that do custom work, but they still don't have the right style. I can find the "sorrento" style, but my current guard is straight and this one has a slight curve to it. Why is it so hard to find a 2-ply guard in cream/white!?

Because Specials arent typically the the type of guitar that people do beautification mods to. Its not unheard of, but there is no real market for Special II pickguards.That, and most Specials dont and have never had pickguards. The GT is one of very few exceptions.

I wanted to take a 'cheap' guitar and turn it into something I can be proud of. This is my first guitar project, and I have big dreams for it. I really like the worn black guitar style, and adding cream/gold parts to it really makes it stand out.

Here is a list of things that have/will be done:

1 - Gold speed knobs

2 - Cream Rhythm/Treble ring with gold washer and nut

3 - Cream pickup selector tip

4 - Gold Floyd Rose bridge with cream tip on the tremolo

5 - Cream pickup rings

6 - Blackout pickups with shiny gold covers

7 - Gold tuners (undecided on brand)

8 - Gold locking nuts (still undecided if I will do this)

8 - 2-Ply Cream/White truss rod cover and pickguard (still trying to locate)

All in all, the guitar is really shaping up nicely. I am getting my pickups/rings/covers in today and that is the project for today.

Adding a Floyd Rose trem and a locking nut are pretty ambitious for that guitar. The first thing you need to do is make sure a Floyd trem block will be the right depth for the body. Secondly, you are going to have to fill in the vintage trem holes and then drill bridge post holes for the Floyd. You'll need a drill press to do this correctly. Then you will need to route the "arm side" of the trem cavity about 1/2 inch to fit the Floyd tremolo arm. And since this wont be a recessed tremolo, you will probably need to shim the neck a little to get the right string height.

Then you have to figure out how to put on the locking nut. You have to have a locking nut with a Floyd or the guitar will never stay in tune. Most likely you will have to ditch the truss rod cover and mount the locking nut in that spot. The problem that this poses is that the truss hole may be too wide to screw in both sides of the locking nut. You'll want to measure the truss hole width and then the width of the mounting-screw spacing on the locking nut. Also, you must drill pilot holes for the locking nut screws or run the risk of cracking the neck.

Personally, I wouldnt waste my time putting a Floyd on a Special II...GT or not. Epiphone currently makes an LP with a factory recessed Flyod tremolo. They have made them periodically in the past as well, so you can even find them on the used maket from time to time.

I am going for a guitar that no one will ever have but me. Thanks for the tips, I am sure they will help out in the long run. I also have a good buddy of mine who repairs guitars, and he is going to help me along the way. Either way my mind is set.

I am going for a guitar that no one will ever have but me. Thanks for the tips, I am sure they will help out in the long run. I also have a good buddy of mine who repairs guitars, and he is going to help me along the way. Either way my mind is set.

Good luck to you then. Just make sure to take your time and do everything correctly the first time. And dont forget to post pics of your guitar when you are finished. [thumbup]

Archived