Gibson Brands Forums

NGDx2

ArmyGuitar

First on the left is my restored and customized Epi Explorer, I bought it from a TGP forum member, who restores and customizes guitars. All new pots, wiring, etc... 57 Classic pups, and a killer paint job. In the middle is a Limited Edition Epi SG G-400, that I just got in trade for my Ibanez RG3. The white and black color scheme, with maple fretboard really grabbed me. Its stock, but it did come with Grover tuners. So I am exploring pickups at the moment to upgrade it, a new nut, and not sure if a bridge upgrade would be worth it, as I am not sure how the Epi bridges are. So any info on those things would be appreciated.

MyRig.jpg

Hi ArmyGuitar, welcome to the forums.

Nice group of guitars you have there, that SG is something different that's for sure.

As for the standard Epi bridge, I think they're not the guitar's weak point. The weak point with Epi's is the pickups and the electronics, the pickups are usually muddy, the pots are most often of the cheap asian mini type and the pickup switch can also be a problem.

Hope you enjoy yourself around here, a great bunch of people and up for anything guitar, not just Epi.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. So what would be some good pups and electronics for the SG, I mainly am into the more agressive classic/modern rock.

That SG would be a special run guitar, in these guitars Epi usually uses superior components than their run of the mill guitars receive. It's not necessary to upgrade components simply for the sake of doing so, If you play it and like the sound, then why bother.

If you play it and find the sound lacking, then by all means upgrade. A great budget pickup supplier is Guitar Fetish, IMHO they offer the best bang for buck pups around, you can find their humbuckers HERE and are genrally $30 - $40 each.

More expensive options include Seymour Duncan HERE and genuine Gibson pups HERE, both of these options will generally set you back $80 - $150.

I haven't recommended any particular model simply because each of these sites offer excellent descriptions of each model so you'll be able to decide for yourself.

EDIT: Best components are CTS potentiometers and Switchcraft switches and jack plugs.

Archived