Gibson Brands Forums

Question

LSAR

So, i'd like to try a few of the different bridge pups (super distortion, dirty fingers, X2N etc.)in my em1 (and then decide on a neck pickup to go with the one i choose) i was wondering if its possible to wire them to the 3 way switch (blade) so that they are as follows:

Position 1 (usually neck pup): coil closer to neck

Position 2 (middle):full humbucker

Position 3 (usually bridge pup): coil closer to bridge

of course it would take a while to try a couple pups and see which one i like best and then the purpose of the switch question is to figure out if i like them as single coils and if so, which coil i like, (if they'd sound any different)

So, i'd like to try a few of the different bridge pups (super distortion, dirty fingers, X2N etc.)in my em1 (and then decide on a neck pickup to go with the one i choose) i was wondering if its possible to wire them to the 3 way switch (blade) so that they are as follows:

Position 1 (usually neck pup): coil closer to neck

Position 2 (middle):full humbucker

Position 3 (usually bridge pup): coil closer to bridge

of course it would take a while to try a couple pups and see which one i like best and then the purpose of the switch question is to figure out if i like them as single coils and if so, which coil i like, (if they'd sound any different)

The two coils in a humbucker are too close to each other to make a meaningful difference in tone. What you might consider is a Duncan P-Rails that combines a Strat coil with a P-90 so you can get true Strat, real P-90, and humbucker out of one pickup.

p_rails.jpg

The two coils in a humbucker are too close to each other to make a meaningful difference in tone. What you might consider is a Duncan P-Rails that combines a Strat coil with a P-90 so you can get true Strat, real P-90, and humbucker out of one pickup.

p_rails.jpg

I really like the idea of this pick-up, It would be really nice to experiment with one or two of these in a good mod' platform

I have a Strat with 2 humbuckers wired like this:

Pos 1 Bridge Hum.

Pos 2 Bridge single coil.

Pos 3 both Hum.

Pos 4 Neck single coil.

Pos 5 Neck Hum.

As I was wiring it, I tested the coils to see which I preferred; the single closest to the bridge, or the other, and so on for the neck pup.

The difference, as Jerrymac says, is small. I did find that the coil closest to the bridge was a bit thinner, and had more treble that the other. Not as much body.

Same with the neck, but an even smaller difference. Depends what you want.

Archived