Gibson Brands Forums

Yellowing the satin white?

EADGBE

The satin white used on LP juniors and SG Raw Powers looks a bit too white for me. Is there any easy tricks to make it a bit more aged, cream colored and softer for the eye? It would be doable by tinting some laqcuer, but I've nitro lacquered my faded SG with a brush myself and I'm not just ready for all the sanding etc. again.

Tobacco

Tea

Coffee

Not sure how permanent it will be. If the finish is porous soaking the above dry ingrediments in hot water will create a wash that can be brushed on and left to dry for a few weeks. The dark brown 'teas' will either soak in, or not. Urine has also been used as a leather softening and aging agent. No serious... I would not s#(t you... urine.

Sunlight helps. Place the guitar in a stand when not in use near an open window with a southern exposure. This will take time, but less time than if it is sequestered in a case.

Tommy . . .

That crossed my mind, but I wasn't about to go there with somebody I don't know.

[rolleyes][blink][-X[biggrin]

Well they asked for DYI and it don't get any more DIYer than that. [wink] Also, when I wrote 'Open window' I meant shades open. You can close the window if it gets cold or rainy.

Archived