Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Les Paul - Real or Fake?

Dillon Anderson

Man, that's different.

I didn't see anything on the pots.

Other than that, and what looks like an alteration to the neck joint, I can't point at anything that concerns me, it just looks different.

Like someone mentioned - maybe legit and then later modified and refinished.

This particular image has me most curious.... Between the orange vertical lines the binding is white and the rest of the binding outside the lines is that of aged amber binding. My guess is there was some custom work done later on in its life.

IMG_1797.jpg?t=1290481068

This particular image has me most curious.... Between the orange vertical lines the binding is white and the rest of the binding outside the lines is that of aged amber binding. My guess is there was some custom work done later on in its life.

IMG_1797.jpg?t=1290481068

good eye man, i would have never noticed that! ha

Dillion, many think it MAY turn out to be ligit.......I'm wondering, if someone took the time, money and effort to have it modded to the degree it was (is), why did he give it up, and / or, why didn't the 'store' have a history on it of sorts ??? Theft ? Death ? Money troubles ? Suicide ? Hmmm.......

Closed 'b' and 'o' and an un-dotted 'i' are all good indications it's real.

I'm guessing it matches the second part of my suggestion of post #26;

A lutiher has been asked to modify it so that the heel-area has been dressed away, the florid inlays have been added in between the regular 'Custom' blocks and the whole thing has been re-finished. At the rear the original body-binding was augmented by the newer, whiter area Duane mentions.

$7,000, though...

I hope it plays well.

P.

Archived