Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul with 24 frets

NeoConMan

Anybody here ever see the Les Paul DC Pro from the late nineties that had 24 frets?

I've seen the double cutaways on Les Pauls with a carved top, nothing unusual there, but 24 frets?

I was reading the book "50 Years of the Les Paul" by Tony Bacon again, there's a brief mention of them there.

Seems the PRS Custom 24 was the intended target, so there's your visual clue.

24 frets was a short run, they went back to the usual neck and scale shortly after...

I've played several carved top DC's over the years, it was sort of an answer to a question I never asked.

But a full two octave scale to battle the PRS Custom series is a cool idea.

I might buy one if I can find any to choose from, just for the novelty.

You're right Wiki has more info here's an excerpt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Doublecut

The Les Paul Standard and Pro models of the doublecut LP are a newer concept, based on an arched-top Les Paul with humbucker pickups, similar to the Hamer design. The Pro has 22 frets; the Standard has 24 frets. Unlike other 2-pickup single cutaway Les Pauls, these Gibson doublecutaway versions have one master volume and one master tone control (singlecut Les Pauls with two pickups have two sets of tone and volume controls, one for each pickup). Many believe these newer archtop doublecut Les Pauls were developed in response to the high-end guitars of Gibson competitor Paul Reed Smith, whose PRS guitars most typically have a doublecut design and master tone and volume controls, and whose production eventually went from a small shop (as Hamer's has stayed) to an assembly-line production rivaling Gibson's. This opinion is further supported by the fact that the first of Gibson's archtop doublecut Les Pauls, the now-discontinued Les Paul Studio doublecut (produced in the late 1990s), had 24 frets, as opposed to Gibson's more standard 22 frets. 24-fret necks are featured on some PRS guitars, and are more popular with heavy metal players who often solo at the high end of the neck. Thus the archtop Gibson Les Paul doublecut models are seen by many to be one of Gibson's bids to stay competitive with more "modern" oriented rock guitarists, though many doublecut owners do not play metal or similar styles.

Good job Sixx!

Yeah, that's the one.

Still has a carved top like a Standard.

I gotta laugh though, Ed Roman?

Oh my, what a guy...

Be sure and read his site, he has observations and opinions galore!

Kinda like reading the National Enquirer or some other bullsh!t tabloid.

He puts enough factual info in his story to make the rest seem possible....

I haven't been in his new Vegas store, his old one was HUGE!

Lotsa high end guitar mixed in with all kinds of shiny guitars you never heard of, he'll sell ANYTHING to make a buck.

Ed Roman..... Sheeze.....

Carvin is big into 24 frets. The tone just doesn't work for me when you move the neck pickup, and I like the neck pickup.

I guess it wouldn't effect anything else, but that's enough to steer me clear of em'.

Murph.

Good job Sixx!

Be sure and read his site' date=' he has observations and opinions galore!

.[/quote']

Neo Baggin on somebody for having opinions...

Now that's something I never thought id' see in print O:)

Just teasin Neo - Ed Roman has opinions just because he's Ed Roman he never let's things like fact or anything else get in his way, he sells a butt load of guitars though so I guess it works for him.

Archived