Gibson Brands Forums

Finding people to start a blues/rock band

awel

Hi,

I'm living in Belgium, and I'm trying to find a drummer for my blues/rock band, and believe me or not, that's hell! [crying]

Here in Belgium, you will find a lot of musicians but as soon as you will say that you want to do covers as well as composition, everyone will disappear.

I think that's because they are around 40 years old and that they only want to play for money (when you do covers it's easy here to play in some café for money).

I am asking myself, how is it in your country???

Hi there....good post

Similar here in the UK to your experience

Many bands here are finding it difficult to make any money playing

So they recruit members to play 'for fun'

Both covers bands and original bands

They are happy to cover their travelling expenses etc and have a few beers

V

:-({|=

Hi there....good post

Similar here in the UK to your experience

Many bands here are finding it difficult to make any money playing

So they recruit members to play 'for fun'

Both covers bands and original bands

They are happy to cover their travelling expenses etc and have a few beers

V

That's sad, I used to think it was easiest in the country where the 'British Blues Boom' was borne.

[thumbdn]

Awel,

We're pretty fortunate in southeast Michigan. There are soooo many musicians here that it is not too difficult to find people interested in just about anything. (of course finding the right ones can be trial and error)

I'm just outside of Ann Arbor... (University of Mich)...and not far from the larger Detroit area.

You will find people here that have full time jobs, raising families and just want to have some fun playing music. There are also many who just want to make a living at music. There are many that are somewhere in between. All ages included.

Under all circumstances you will find people playing in all genres. Covers, metal, blues, country, jazz, progressive,

bluegrass, folk, rock to rap. Some do originals. Others mix it up.

We may have been unlucky in our economy (who hasn't lately) but if you want to play music this is a great place to find people and diversity.

Willy

Awel,

We're pretty fortunate in southeast Michigan. There are soooo many musicians here that it is not too difficult to find people interested in just about anything. (of course finding the right ones can be trial and error)

I'm just outside of Ann Arbor... (University of Mich)...and not far from the larger Detroit area.

You will find people here that have full time jobs, raising families and just want to have some fun playing music. There are also many who just want to make a living at music. There are many that are somewhere in between. All ages included.

Under all circumstances you will find people playing in all genres. Covers, metal, blues, country, jazz, progressive,

bluegrass, folk, rock to rap. Some do originals. Others mix it up.

We may have been unlucky in our economy (who hasn't lately) but if you want to play music this is a great place to find people and diversity.

Willy

So I have to move in Michigan! [biggrin]

If only I could; I have visited the west coast a month ago and I really felt in love with USA, the nature and the views are so different and amazing.

I went from L.A. (where I bought a Fender Vintage 62 start by Sam Ash on Sunset Bld) to Las Vegas through San Francisco.

I think that everyone in every country have their problems but I found USA amazing.

In many ways America is lucky to have it's diverse musical culture harking back to the 1600's

And general 'respect' for career musicians

Arguably Blues and Jazz are original American music forms with a large following still

There are 40M+ people of Irish etc descent to support Celtic music performance

One thing we do have is an ongoing love of Dixieland Jazz

Many country fairs and pub/bars have bands playing for free

V

Play for Love :-({|=

In many ways America is lucky to have it's diverse musical culture harking back to the 1600's

And general 'respect' for career musicians

Arguably Blues and Jazz are original American music forms with a large following still

There are 40M+ people of Irish etc descent to support Celtic music performance

One thing we do have is an ongoing love of Dixieland Jazz

Many country fairs and pub/bars have bands playing for free

V

Play for Love :-({|=

It is sad, you know I think that being musician is like a philosophy or even a religion, I mean I am working full time in IT domain but I waking up with music, I am thinking music and I am falling asleep with music.

I totally understand that you want to earn money with music but on the other hand I cannot understand people that only play for money, I think music should always stay a pleasure not an obligation.

It is sad, you know I think that being musician is like a philosophy or even a religion, I mean I am working full time in IT domain but I waking up with music, I am thinking music and I am falling asleep with music.

I totally understand that you want to earn money with music but on the other hand I cannot understand people that only play for money, I think music should always stay a pleasure not an obligation.

Yes I agree...this is a situation that has existed for 100's of years, and like art/photography/painting etc there are many 'hobby' artists who indulge their passion 'at the weekend'

In my experience a true artist will always Play for Love and gratefully accept any financial reward

But of course, in the real world with family to support etc, it takes real courage and commitment to 'take that step' into being a fulltime musician.

V

Yes I agree...this is a situation that has existed for 100's of years, and like art/photography/painting etc there are many 'hobby' artists who indulge their passion 'at the weekend'

In my experience a true artist will always Play for Love and gratefully accept any financial reward

But of course, in the real world with family to support etc, it takes real courage and commitment to 'take that step' into being a fulltime musician.

V

Are you fulltime musician?

Well, speaking as an 18 year old...

It's hard as hell. I am pretty heavy into the blues, and I throw in some hard rock, but its hard to find good musicians who won't flake out. Maybe its the age, but its hell. Currently, I have a drummer and maybe a bassist, but she is always busy... Its fun though, and thats how you have to look at it. If I can ever make enough money to cover the costs of travel, and maybe pay off my gear, I will be a happy camper

Well, speaking as an 18 year old...

It's hard as hell. I am pretty heavy into the blues, and I throw in some hard rock, but its hard to find good musicians who won't flake out. Maybe its the age, but its hell. Currently, I have a drummer and maybe a bassist, but she is always busy... Its fun though, and thats how you have to look at it. If I can ever make enough money to cover the costs of travel, and maybe pay off my gear, I will be a happy camper

Like almost everyone of us, I guess [rolleyes]

I live just outside of Nashville.... you'd think it'd be easy, huh?

Right now I have a drummer who won't clear time to practice.... you want him?

[lol][lol][lol]

lol never said it is easy in the USA but I think perhaps that there are lot more of musicians and places to play live.

But that's the purpose of my post, tell me more about your situation [rolleyes]

Sorry if it seemed I was implying you thought it was easy... Nashville is known as "Music City", and is the heart and soul of Country Music... logically, one would think serious musicians would be easy to find here. There's even a line from a song "There's 1652 guitar pickers in Nashville...."

My story?

I USED to be a gigging musican back in the '80s and '90s. It was my chosen profession... but it wasn't exactly getting me where I wanted to go financially. The last band I was in had been together for over 2 years in one form or another (personnel changes) but I couldn't talk them into playing out. Rehearsals, recording demos, sure.

Playing for money?

Right out.

One night, as I once again ran into the apartment from the day job to grab my guitar and head out to rehearsal, my daughter, then 8, followed me to the door crying, wanting to know when her Daddy was going to come home.

That was all I could stand. I went to the rehearsal room one day at lunch, packed up all my gear and left the band. I sold everything but the Strat, the tube driver, the delay and the Marshall, locked them all away deep in a closet so I wouldn't be tempted and went into IT.

Fast forward some 20 years....

Kids are raised, I'm debt free and have some free time... So out comes the music gear, and I'm gonna give it another shot.

If you're still awake after that, thanks for reading!

If not, have a nice nap, we'll see ya when you wake up.

Is that what you wanted?

Sorry if it seemed I was implying you thought it was easy... Nashville is known as "Music City", and is the heart and soul of Country Music... logically, one would think serious musicians would be easy to find here. There's even a line from a song "There's 1652 guitar pickers in Nashville...."

My story?

I USED to be a gigging musican back in the '80s and '90s. It was my chosen profession... but it wasn't exactly getting me where I wanted to go financially. The last band I was in had been together for over 2 years in one form or another (personnel changes) but I couldn't talk them into playing out. Rehearsals, recording demos, sure.

Playing for money?

Right out.

One night, as I once again ran into the apartment from the day job to grab my guitar and head out to rehearsal, my daughter, then 8, followed me to the door crying, wanting to know when her Daddy was going to come home.

That was all I could stand. I went to the rehearsal room one day at lunch, packed up all my gear and left the band. I sold everything but the Strat, the tube driver, the delay and the Marshall, locked them all away deep in a closet so I wouldn't be tempted and went into IT.

Fast forward some 20 years....

Kids are raised, I'm debt free and have some free time... So out comes the music gear, and I'm gonna give it another shot.

If you're still awake after that, thanks for reading!

If not, have a nice nap, we'll see ya when you wake up.

Is that what you wanted?

Yes, thank you for speaking about your personal experience, sure it isn't easy but you know sometimes I want to give up, and even through forums it is good to share experience with real people, I mean not only through biography of rock stars.

When you read some of these biographies everything looks like everything is easy, the rock'n'roll way of life, but rockstars lives are not the ones that biggest part of musicians are living.

Yes, thank you for speaking about your personal experience, sure it isn't easy but you know sometimes I want to give up, and even through forums it is good to share experience with real people, I mean not only through biography of rock stars.

When you read some of these biographies everything looks like everything is easy, the rock'n'roll way of life, but rockstars lives are not the ones that biggest part of musicians are living.

TRUE STORY!

They tend to gloss over the "paying dues" part.

Archived