Gibson Brands Forums

56 GT Pup Swap

markerdown

So I got this 56GT that I want to swap out the P90 pups with mini humbuckers. Since I'm just beginning my mini bucker research, anyone got any info on pups I should consider? I have an SD mini in my 52 hr tele, but it sounds nothing like the old LP deluxes with the gibby mini buckers.

I just got a Riviera with P94's and want to switch to mini's, and yes it's a bit of a hassle.

Having never heard them in person, I was told SD's mini's were very close to the old Gibson, so it's interesting that they sound a little thin to you, if I hear you correctly that is.

Maybe check out Gibby mini's as they don't cost much more than the SD's and must be close???

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion, I'm interested for sure.

The SD mini bucker in the telecaster is really nice. But it's no LP with mini buckers. If I had it over to do, I would have gotten the std '52 reissue and not the hot rod version

I'm lookin at some GFS mini's. They have the trim pieces that should make the P90 soapbar to mini buckers swap easy.

Either the mini 59's or the fat mini's. I need to find some sound clips

I swapped a set of P-90s to the "mini-crunchy" ceramics...........they sound great!!

Here is a page of Ceramic, Alnico, Vintage wound, Hot Wound, etc etc minis, WITH adapter rings.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-P90-Soapbar-Style-Mini-Humbuckers_c_237.html right click

and the prices can't be beat!!!!!!

I put a set of Gibson minis in my '56 GT. They are, okay. I have an Agile AL-3100 with minis and I love them a lot more than the Gibsons. When I started the search to find out how to do it they Gibsons were the only ones I could find with the pup rings. I have since found out that AllParts sell them for minis.

I emailed Jay about his when I was looking for some and he told me to get some Gibsons because at the time he didn't sell the minis he now has. I have two sets of his 59s and I am totally happy with them, not the minis. If I was to do it again I would go for the GFS mini buckers.

FWIW - I have a friend that had a Gibby GT Deluxe and he changed out the Gibby minis for SDs and he is extremely happy with them.

Archived