Gibson Brands Forums

Installing "Varitone"switch

delek 99

Hi, I am getting ready to buy a BIG D varitone switch from

BIG D Guitars put it in my sheraton,

http://www.bigdguitars.com/install.html

They say installation is easy and it does sound very simple to do. One wire the white wire goes to any ground on a pot and the other wire which is red goes to the hot out put of the Jack, thats it. Does this mean the the hot on the output jack will have 2 wires attached to it, does this sound okay, or will i have to desolder any joints in the circuit and reaarange wires to accomadate the varitone switch, bearing in mind i am putting in a kill switch and master volume aswell? [unsure] any help appreciated [smile]

post-19502-071719400 1290613740_thumb.jpg

Just a side note - looks like the guy who butchered that gold Tele in the link above was about 1/32 of an inch from having his butchery on display even after he installed the pick guard.

The best part is how he uses it as an example and puts it on his site, a guitar savaged by a holesaw, what a tool, or get another tool, un****inreal

BTW there's a reason the Gibson version of this switch is equivalent in size to "half a pack of smokes".

Without spending more than 30 seconds reading that link, I doubt that switch wired that way will do much, but I might be wrong...

yeah pretty sure it will fit through the f hole but starting to get doubts already, might not be worth the anticipation! if it doesnt work im left with a dead chicken head on my guitar aaaaargh!!! ](*,)

Don't drill any holes for it if you are not 100%, but you could wire it in, and leave it hanging loose through the f hole, then have a play and a fiddle until you have decided weather you like it or not.

The Big D Varitone is pretty small, but I don't know if it will fit in the F hole or not. It's been a long time, but I would say there is a good chance of it fitting. It doesn't use the big transformer that Gibson's varitone does. The down side of that is the first time you switch positions, there is a soft click coming through the speakers. After the first time you use it, it's silent. At least that's the way mine works.

Notes ♫

Archived